Tough hiking boot brands

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
ApocalypseMan
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Tough hiking boot brands

Post by ApocalypseMan »

I'm looking for hiking boots that are not glued but sewn around the souls and are recraftable.

After Wilderness Rangering in the Monarch I really don't like glued boots. I had a pair of Lowa Rangers and about a month and a half in, the rubber started to peel off from the sides and water was getting inside. I wouldn't have a problem with this type of boot as long as it lasted me a season or two not just a month.

I know of; Danners, Alico, Whites, Wesco and that's about it. Anyone know of any good companies that still make some solid tough hiking boots.
Wildman Approves!
Tom
Topix Acquainted

Re: Tough hiking boot brands

Post by Tom »

I've been using these for about 10 years. No problems. Great protection. Norwegian welt sole connection.
http://www.limmerboot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by fishmonger »

and that rubber sole is actually "stitched" to the boot? My experience with these boots is that the actual Vibram sole is glued to the bottom like any other modern boot.

I never had a modern boot fail, but I had a 1980s kick-ass mountaineering boot built like the above fail - the sole came off, because it was poorly glued to the fully stitched midsole. Had to hike out for 20 miles with some wire holding my sole to the boot.
hikin_jim
Topix Regular

Post by hikin_jim »

The old Norwegian welt boots sure did last. I've been a little disappointed by my Lowa Trekkers. They're comfortable, but the soles started peeling off from the leather at the sides where the toes bend on my foot. Also, I've worn through the outer layer of the sole, and an inner layer is showing through.

The modern Lowas just don't last like the pair I got in high school in the 70's -- which I still have but are now too small.

HJ
Backpacking stove reviews and information: Adventures In Stoving
Flux
Topix Expert

Post by Flux »

I had a pair of these (Merrell Wilderness) that lasted 10 years and three resoles. The finally died as the thin leather interior cracked apart. Very good boots and they really form to your feet. No goretex though and you need to really work sealant into the rand.

Boy those Limmers look real nice though.

hikin_jim
Topix Regular

Post by hikin_jim »

Flux wrote:I had a pair of these (Merrell Wilderness) that lasted 10 years and three resoles. The finally died as the thin leather interior cracked apart. Very good boots and they really form to your feet. No goretex though and you need to really work sealant into the rand.

Nice. Are they still making those?

HJ
Flux
Topix Expert

Post by Flux »

I think so. I almost got another pair but opted for the Merrell Perimeter. I have had some issues with my metatarsal stuff (neuroma) and needed wide boots. I probably should get another pair of wilderness though and start breaking them in. The Perimeters seem like 2 -3 year boots.

My only reservation is the toes will get eaten by the granite.
hikin_jim
Topix Regular

Post by hikin_jim »

Flux wrote:My only reservation is the toes will get eaten by the granite.
Yeah, that's one nice thing about a full toe rand that comes with more modern styles. Still the Norwegian welt style is so tough that I prefer it over the type with a rand.

The old full grain leather boots seemed pretty tough too.

Anyway, thanks for the post. I've got some foot problems, so I'm always interested in what's out there.

HJ
Tom
Topix Acquainted

Post by Tom »

This is out of curiosity...Do older (my age is 59) backpackers prefer the style of boot that we are seeing here? Just wondering if the newer boots are more widely used by younger people on the trail?
markskor
Founding Member - RIP
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by markskor »

Tom wrote:This is out of curiosity...Do older (my age is 59) backpackers prefer the style of boot that we are seeing here? Just wondering if the newer boots are more widely used by younger people on the trail?
Same age as Tom, give or take...
Prefer now the lightest, most comfortable boot possible...Too bad the boots today fall apart so easily. Spent years with Vasque (Redwing then) and was able to resole my Voyagers 3 times before they fell apart. Then Sundowners for a resole or two, but eventually wised up - too heavy; go lighter. Tried Trailrunners (other extreme) but rolled too many ankles.

Today pretty happy with my Lowa Renegades, but being pragmatic, if I do not get at least 500 miles out of them, will "return" them to REI and get them replaced with similar.
Do not make the REI rules and if they are willing to sell $200 boots that fall apart after a season or two, will gladly take them up on their return policy.
Mountainman who swims with trout