Hiking in NW Yosemite and emigrant wildernes via leavitt Mea

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Glacierman
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Hiking in NW Yosemite and emigrant wildernes via leavitt Mea

Post by Glacierman »

Does any one have experience hiking to the Twin Lakes in the NW part of Yosemite and accessing them via the emigrant wilderness from dorothy Lake over bond Pass to these remote 2 lakes (NOTE : NOT Twin Lakes by Bridgeport). I am looking to camp at the most western(larger) twin lake and cross country it south and East to Otter lake , then down that outlet to Tilden lake. I have extensive backpack experience with some cross country. Is this doable? this will be just a part of an 7-9 day trip. Any info on Fishing in the twin lakes here? (NW Yosemite). Looking to go mid sept.
Thanks
BillyBobBurro
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: Hiking in NW Yosemite and emigrant wildernes via leavitt Mea

Post by BillyBobBurro »

I came in from Leavitt lake to snow lake to bigelow to black bear then finally upper twin lake. I day hiked around the lower twin. The x-country from snow to bigelow is pretty easy and straight forward. That was the "deepest" I went. So I have no idea about making your way over to Otter. The marshy area above the twins (directly south of the connecting stream) is very scenic.
venturefar
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Hiking in NW Yosemite and emigrant wildernes via leavitt Mea

Post by venturefar »

I've been through that area before. My profile picture was taken at Upper Twin. I like it better than the larger lake to the west. Both Lakes are beautiful with some of the clearest water I've ever seen. The fishing for rainbows from is solid at basically every lake along your route. I saw a bald eagle at Dorothy in 2008. I've never done the CC route to Otter, but I've always wanted to bag nearby Haystack Peak. The picture on the back of Schifrin's 2004 edition will show you what Tilden looks like. If you have any specific questions feel free to PM me. That whole area is wonderful, you should have an awesome trip. I look forward to reading your report.
@aguabonita