Muir Pass Conditions

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
EasternSierra
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Muir Pass Conditions

Post by EasternSierra »

Has anyone out there been over Muir pass recently or know how much snow there is? I'm planning on doing the North Lake to South Lake trek soon.

The official NPS site says that AS OF 8/15 that the trail between Helen and Wanda lakes is 50% covered in snow and that folks are still having a difficult time getting over Muir Pass. Does anyone know if this is still true?
KathyW
Founding Member

Re: Muir Pass Conditions

Post by KathyW »

I'm heading in over Lamarck Col to Goddard on Friday or Saturday. I won't get back out until Monday or Tuesday, but I'll report back on conditions in that area when I get back. I might add Black Giant to the trip; so that will take me over Muir Pass.
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic

Post by cgundersen »

ES,
There have been several reports by folks who have gone over Muir Pass fairly recently (kpeter, silverfox) and my guess is that the rangers' reports are conservative. There was already a pretty good route through the snow when I was there in late June (see the photo link on my recent "endless snow" thread), so as long as you give the surface time to soften a bit in the morning, you should be fine.
cg
Last edited by cgundersen on Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nilsy
Topix Newbie

Post by Nilsy »

I did the North Lake to South Lake hike a couple of weeks ago and went over Muir Pass on August 18th. There was snow on the last bit up to the pass from Wanda, but it was not at all difficult to negotiate. On the other side of the pass there was much more snow - pretty much all the way down to Helen and even beyond. But there were well worn paths through the suncups, and you should have no trouble getting through. We had hiking poles which made it easy, but others got through without poles.
EasternSierra
Topix Novice

Post by EasternSierra »

Thanks for the replies. We'll be coming up the pass on the the eastern (Helen Lake) side that has more snow and then down the western side towards Wanda lake. It will most likely be on Sept 12, so I hoping that we'll time it right and there will be no new snow. Sounds like we should be able to do it with just treking poles and no technical gear. Thanks.
stevet
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by stevet »

Was on Muir Pass the 1st. Didn't hike down to Helen Lake but there is still a lot of snow. JMT'ers are griping but it is not stopping anyone. If ascending from LeConte, recommend first thing in the morning when the snow is hard. Wear micro spikes for traction.
KathyW
Founding Member

Post by KathyW »

A little late on my reply, but snow was not a problem on Muir Pass last weekend. The trail on the west side of the pass was clear of snow and the snow that was left on the east side was minimal and had a deep boot-track through it.

Maybe after this weekend there will be a dusting of new snow up there.

There is still a lot more snow than on an "average" year out there. It made the hike up Black Giant a little less direct than I expected. I guess the new snow will come before old snow melts off this year.