Lillian Lake Loop next month

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
balzaccom
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: Lillian Lake Loop next month

Post by balzaccom »

Troutdog--we'll do something similar in early September...Granite Creek to Isberg Pass, then back through Rutherford, Lillian and Vandenburg Lakes. We should have a pretty solid TR for you by the time you leave
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
rightstar76
Topix Expert

Post by rightstar76 »

I've seen bears on many of my hikes and I've never had a problem. Sierra bears are gentle compared to bears in the Rockies. Most of the time they've stayed away from me except one time in Yosemite where I had to throw rocks at them so they wouldn't come into my camp. Those bears had been fed too many times and were pests. As long as you keep a clean camp, store your food and any scented products in bear cannisters, you shouldn't have any problems.
RobertD
Topix Acquainted

Post by RobertD »

Just picked up a bunch of stuff at REI, including a new pack :D . Got fitted and set up nicely, amazing what a modern pack feels like.

We went with the sealable odor bags. I bought a half dozen of the big ones so ill double bag every thing and hang it in a tree away from camp. Wife is now super excited after her shopping trip at REI (note: never let the wife wander the store with an empty cart...).

I got this Gregory Baltoro 75 Pack (on sale to) and wow. She loaded it with 35 to start and i could barely feel it on my back. Just amazing.
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

Just a quick note on itinerary. If you choose to go over Post Peak Pass (or Isberg Pass) you'll need to use a bear canister, as we you will then have crossed into Yosemite National Park, where they are required.
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
RobertD
Topix Acquainted

Post by RobertD »

Nope, not that far, we are going to stick around Lillian and the smaller lakes around it. Nothing more than the loop this time, maybe Flat lake is the furthest.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

Just a quick note on itinerary. If you choose to go over Post Peak Pass (or Isberg Pass) you'll need to use a bear canister, as we you will then have crossed into Yosemite National Park, where they are required.
robnsuzyq wrote:Nope, not that far, we are going to stick around Lillian and the smaller lakes around it. Nothing more than the loop this time, maybe Flat lake is the furthest.
So, how are you planning to protect the bears from your food, if not taking a bear can? Bears love Mountain House Beef Stroganoff even more than we do! :D
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

Somewhere in these posts he said he was going to hang his food in a tree...
RobertD
Topix Acquainted

Post by RobertD »

Well, if I read the requirement right, its not a high bear area, and not required to can it. Also, after talking to the REI people (customers and staff) they recommended the odor bags, so i bought a bunch of those, and am going to double bag the food and hang it? Along with all the fun stuff like tolietries and meds and such.
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

robnsuzyq wrote:... after talking to the REI people (customers and staff) they recommended the odor bags, so i bought a bunch of those...
Agree that hanging food (once the way things were done) still works, but, in the Sierra, using the spirit of today's "save the bear by using a bear can" mentality, most here would probably still opt to carry the can on your intended route. But, if skilled and lucky; so be it.

In regard to those odor bags, well, not really convinced that they do anything as odors, just from handling the bag, negate the intended purpose. It is the hang - not the smell.

And in regard to REI people and their opinions - Just got back from my local REI and overheard one "expert" telling a gentleman there that Leki poles (twist locks) are far preferred over Black Diamond (flick locks) because he was tall and heavy - told him Leki's are better for that type. :puke:
Mountainman who swims with trout
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

ditto what Mark said. If you hang it wrong, it doesn't matter if it doesn't smell. It then becomes a bear toy.

At least with a bear can, you're pretty sure you'll still have food if they walk through. It used to be fun watching the bears try and reach the food hanging on the old cables.

If I recall, Mark once tried to volunteer his services at REI. They said he was too old and they preferred younger, more energetic types. Idiots.