Rocky Mountain Nat'l Park and Mt. Rainier Nat'l Park

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
Trekker
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Rocky Mountain Nat'l Park and Mt. Rainier Nat'l Park

Post by Trekker »

Hi;

I just got back from a conference in Denver last week, with a short backpacking trip to the Rocky Mountains thrown in; had a great time, hope to be able to post some pics in the near future. Now I'm going to Seattle at the end of this week for a gathering of friends from high school, and am hoping to spend a few days in Mt. Rainier Nat'l Park. Problem is, it seems that, according to the Park website, talking to rangers, and looking at NOAA point forecasts, it's still winter above 6000 or so ft. Since I don't want to take every piece of equipment I own to deal with all the different conditions, I was wondering if anyone had any ideas for a short backpacking trip or area where I could get some great views and not have to bring my snow shoes to get there. Any suggestions on equipment for this time of year would also be helpful as well; I'm trying to decide whether to bring a 4 or 3 season tent, for example. Thanks!
ridgeline
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Post by ridgeline »

Trekker, Im not sure where you will be staying, but check with Whittakers Bunkhouse in Ashford, not far from many campsites, peaks etc. The bunkhouse has climbers, hikers, guides, many doing Rainier, but others just hiking local.