The next pass west of Rohn?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Re: The next pass west of Rohn?

Post by cgundersen »

Tom,
Wow; can't do better than that! Up looks OK; down might cause butterflies.........
cg
Telkwa
Topix Acquainted

Post by Telkwa »

@#&$%(*! Son of a %&*@)$$$0-

I shoulda checked the forum one last time before we left the house. S--T!

Unaware that someone had posted shots, my wife and I took off. Only got lost 4 or 5 times trying to get to Lake Edison. Got to Bighorn from Mott, and debated whether to try the un-named pass. Halfway to Rohn she said "OK, let's try it".

We got to that lip and my heart sank. I was already tired, and a bit dizzy from altitude. The first 50 feet were just too danged steep for two old hikers with no technical gear. We looked and looked and tried to find a way down to either side, but the rock walls were also too steep.

We stumbled back down and over to Rohn. Camped at one of the last lakes in that long chain below Shout-of-Relief, near Cotton. We were both feeling so lousy we didn't eat any dinner. Just tried to rehydrate.

Most of the pain & suffering coulda been avoided if I'd checked this thread.

Anyway, thanks guys for your help.
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic

Post by cgundersen »

telkwa,
For me, every time a novel route has worked out, there's been one that has not and that second variety often comes with the price of a very long day. Obviously, you're due for a winner next time! And, you can refresh memories with that snow shot!
cg