Southern Sierra Backpacking

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
DoyleWDonehoo
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Post by DoyleWDonehoo »

Lewis Creek, Lloyd Meadow (better), Galic Meadow, all directly south of Farewell Gap SEKI.
Doyle W. Donehoo
Sierra Trails:
http://www.doylewdonehoo.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
krudler
Founding Member

Post by krudler »

I could be wrong (!), but I believe it is the "Lewis Camp" TH, not Lewis Creek. This is accessed off hwy 190 past Quaking Aspen. The Jerky Meadows TH is what you are describing above. Basically the same, except that Lewis starts higher and is all downhill to the suspension bridge over the Little Kern (all up on the way out). The Jerky TH goes up over the ridge, then meets the trail coming from Lewis and goes down to the bridge so you get both up and down on the way in and out.
I've gone both these ways, Jerkey is slightly better (easier) I think but the views from the upper end of the Lewis trail are pretty good. Distance about the same.
"Krusty, you know Bette Midler?"
"Yeah we own a racehorse together - the Krudler!"
DoyleWDonehoo
Founding Member

Post by DoyleWDonehoo »

Yup, the above is correct. I have gone from the Lloyd Meadow (Jerkey Meadow TH) about 4 times. Lewis may be better because it is all downhill the first day and you will be in better shape coming back, but I have not tried Lewis. The Lloyd way is all paved road to the TH, and I am not sure the Lewis road is, if that matters.
(I think I got my garlic and jerky all mixed up. Anyway it is Lewis Camp and Jerkey Meadow TH's.)
Doyle W. Donehoo
Sierra Trails:
http://www.doylewdonehoo.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
krudler
Founding Member

Post by krudler »

:)
Lewis not paved all the way to the trailhead. At some point before then, about maybe 3-4 miles as I recall, it turns to a dirt road. Easy dirt road, but dirt all the same. The Lewis TH is used alot by stock, and you'll pass the Golden Trout Packtrains station on the way in. Good peeps.
I find Lewis more brutal. The relatively short uphill from Jerky is nothing compared with the last half going back up to Lewis. Not epic brutality by most Sierra standards, but not what you're looking forward to after having already hiked a good 3-4 miles uphill from the bridge. Still, if its of interest, you could probably get down to the river faster from Lewis but it would take you longer to get back there than to Jerky.
Both great trails though, good views.
krudler
Founding Member

Post by krudler »

Doyle, I have pics of my solo trip last year from Lewis to Kern Lakes at:

http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/AlbumIn ... 1871091&f=

I took a horse in and hiked back out. One week, good fishing, good times.