Dinkey WIlderness TR 8/17 - 8/19

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Troutdog 59
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Dinkey WIlderness TR 8/17 - 8/19

Post by Troutdog 59 »

Made a short trek into the Dinkey WIlderness with my daughter Rachael and we had a blast!!!
Got acclimated by spending 3 nights at Mono Hot Springs with Rachael and my wife Deb. Very relaxing and not a bad way (lazing around and soaking in hot tubs) to acclimate for a back pack :) . On Wednesday Aug 17, we drove over to the main TH and got a mid day (1:30) start. This was only Rachaels secong overnight back pack and her first since 2006, but she is fit and more than willing. We made good time (for an old codger like me ;) ) and were at Second Dinkey by early evening. Heres Rach at our rest stop at Mystery Lake.

No fish in Second Dinkey (but it is on the recent DFG fingerling plant list), but the sunset looking over South and First Dinkey more than made up for it (the shots dont do it justice)

The next day we headed over to pretty Rock Lake.

The fish were actively rising, and heres Rach trying for her first back country brookie!!!

Success!!!!

We had a bit of a food snafu (dont use organic bagels, they dont last as long as the ones full of preservatives :wink: ), so we changed up from heading over to Cliff Lake and opted for a nearby lake full of these little beautys.

Most were cookie cutter 7 - 8 inch fish, but we did manage a couple nicer fish like this one.

We day hiked over to a little lake nearby and had a blast on 7 to 8" bows with some 10" brookies mixed in for good measure!! We both really loved the remote smaller nature of this lake

and heres Rachael working a spinner at the outlet.

We enjoyed a fire (legal) back at camp

The mosquitoes were getting Rach a bit more than we (she) liked, so we opted out the next morning. That said, we both had a blast and we are planning a longer trip for next summer!!! Hopefully one with less winged demons!!
Once in a while you can get shown the light
In the strangest places if you look at it right.

The Grateful Dead
windknot
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Dinkey WIlderness TR 8/17 - 8/19

Post by windknot »

Thanks for the report and pictures! Looks like you guys had a great trip in spite of the mosquitoes, and I'm glad to see that the recent plants of goldens have caught on. My favorite trip to that lake was in 2005 when I caught tons of cookie-cutter 7-8 fish that were nevertheless each unique and exquisite from my perspective at the time. I've never had as much success (in terms of numbers, at least) in multiple trips back since.
savagebear
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by savagebear »

Probably couldn't pick a better spot for BP-ing with a begginer. DLW was my first trip and I look forward to doing a trip like this with my own......I have quite a ways to go for that. Interesting that nobody seems to catch fish out of Second Dinkey. I have never tried myself as I have been en route to other areas and didn't want to stop. There has got to be some fish in that lake somewhere.......it's just hard to imagine it doesn't. Great way to spend time with the family. Great pics. Thanks for sharing.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by AlmostThere »

Second Dinkey has not had fish in it for a few years at least. I think it's too shallow. Freezes in winter, and the inlet coming down from Island just dwindles to unswimmable in spring.

Those golden hybrids are pretty.