Lillian Lake Loop next month

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
RobertD
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Lillian Lake Loop next month

Post by RobertD »

Hey everyone!

Great site here, I fear ill have hours of reading to do.

I had read earlier that the Lillian lake loop is a easy starter backpacker hike. My wife and I are planning our first trip, figuring 3-4 nights, and days, in the Lillian lake area.

We both camp alot, but never done the backpack route until now. How is this loop for first timers?

We plan on taking our time, up to five days total to just walk and explore, with no rush to get back, and family will know exactly where we are, and when to call the calvary. Both of us are in decent shape and are working towards 5-10 miles a day kind of trip, but with tons of siteseeing, fishing and just looking to keep us slowed down.

I see lots of people that have taken this route, so any tips, thoughts, input would be really appreciated. We are really looking forward to it.

BTW, on my topo I have two start points, the Norris or Fernandez trail heads. Which is best? This is my wifes first really outdoor adventure, (I am a long time deer hunter and such, so the woods are a comfortable place for me).

Thanks!!

Robert
oldranger
Topix Addict

Re: Lillian Lake Loop next month

Post by oldranger »

rob....

Should be a great trip. Fernandez is probably better if you want to do a real loop rather than a lolipop. Try to keep your packs as light as possible. My wife and I would do the trip and the allotted days with about 25 and 32 lbs. respectively (includes about a 1,000 lbs of fishing gear for me :^o ). But we have had the time to accumulate pretty lightweight gear. Whatever you do do not overload your wife or you may lose your best hiking companion.

Have a great trip!

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

Good advice from Mike. My wife's pack checks in regularly at about 20 pounds. She carries her clothes, sleeping bag, pad (2 of them!) and the stove and cook kit. She also carries the first aid kit.

I carry all of the above, plus the tent and the food...

And that seems to work out about right for us!
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
RobertD
Topix Acquainted

Post by RobertD »

Thanks for the input. Anything anyone could reccommend as a "dont dare go without it"?

Would a sleeping bag liner be enough, if the temps drop to the 40-50 range?
W/thermals on?
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

robnsuzyq wrote: Would a sleeping bag liner be enough, if the temps drop to the 40-50 range?
W/thermals on?
First question is what is your bag rating (15, 20, 40)? It's probably going to be warm so you might only need the thermals.

Second question is if you're in a tent. The tent gives you 10 degrees more warmth easily.
RobertD
Topix Acquainted

Post by RobertD »

We would be in a tent, with thermals, so i was wondering if the liner would be enough on its own? I used mine deer hunting one year, and it was OK, not great, and it around 10K feet as well.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

So, not a sleeping bag or even a quilt? If your wife sleeps cold, you need something to cover and get warm.
RobertD
Topix Acquainted

Post by RobertD »

rlown wrote:So, not a sleeping bag or even a quilt? If your wife sleeps cold, you need something to cover and get warm.
Thats the question, yes, should we bring bags?
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

ok, I'd look at the weather forecast for where you're going the day before you leave. I'd bring at least one bag, in case, as it seems you'd probably tough it out in your thermals/liner thing. never actually heard of someone just bringing a liner before, but that's just me.

The one bag would also make into a quilt for both of you if necessary.
RobertD
Topix Acquainted

Post by RobertD »

rlown wrote:ok, I'd look at the weather forecast for where you're going the day before you leave. I'd bring at least one bag, in case, as it seems you'd probably tough it out in your thermals/liner thing. never actually heard of someone just bringing a liner before, but that's just me.

The one bag would also make into a quilt for both of you if necessary.
That is not a bad idea, at least one bag to cover if neccessary. Could always sleep with one of the dogs as well! My wife is thinking a down comforter she has, its thin but would fit a pack bag pretty easy and give us a down comforter on top.