PANTS AND JACKET QUESTIONS...

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
DAVELA
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

PANTS AND JACKET QUESTIONS...

Post by DAVELA »

For winter trans sierra skiing/snowshoeing im looking at getting these pants Patagonia Men's Mix Master Pants.

For a jacket system for winter im totally lost.
I cant decide between a Patagonia down sweater,Micro Puff,or R4 or whether i should get an r3 with some type of soft shell.I like the down sweater cuz it packs really small and is warm when you need warmth but apparently its not good for sweaty exercise and is delicate.The R4 is bulky and maybe too sweaty for exercise?The micro puff doesnt seem warm enough when you really need warmth.The last option of getting a a fleece and softshell system is a lot of bulk.
I already have a PAtagonia synchilla and use baselayers like cap 2+3...

This all causes me too think that i should just get 1 bulky heavy duty down jacket that will just keep me warm for emergencies.

Any opinions appreciated.Thanks.
http://www.suwa.org/protect-greater-canyonlands" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
freestone
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: PANTS AND JACKET QUESTIONS...

Post by freestone »

Go with the Patagonia down sweater. Warmer and lighter with less bulk compared to fleece.
Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

funny. I was going to say fleece. Sweaty, wet down is a bit useless unless aired out and it's below freezing. I swear by a layered system. For me, synth long underwear, fleece, and then a shell (with vents) while moving/working. I can see the down for camp, with a shell if windy. But, that would make your pack heavier.

Pants, I do either thin, long underwear, and maybe fleece if its really cold. If its soft powder, I'll put on the gortex rain pants and gaiters. I run hot when I ski, and most of the time, so when moving less is better. YMMV.

Russ
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

I can't imagine skiing, hiking, or doing any strenuous exercise in the Sierra wearing down or thick fleece unless it was below about 10 degrees and windy. Generally a base layer, 100 wt fleece and a wind shell will do when moving then when you stop add insulation quickly. Sometimes I'll even shed the wet baselayer then put on a dry one. Gotta save the down for when you really need it!

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
paul
Topix Expert

Post by paul »

The pants seem too warm to me unless you're thinking of using them for in-camp warmth, in which case they are very heavy for the warmth they provide. If you are looking to do a trans-sierra ski or snowshoe trip, you'll be going in late april/early may when the corn is ripe, and the days are pretty warm. I use light wind pants over lightweight long johns, and often just the long johns without the shell pants. The very heaviest thing I would consider for pants would be the Patagonia Lightweight Guide Pants - my ski buddy this year wore those - but only in a lighter color. You'll fry if you wear black pants. I take some light puffy pants for camp.

For the jacket, a light down jacket is great - you'll only wear it in camp or at lunch/rest stops. But I am not impressed by the patagonia down sweater - I think there are better jackets out there with more warmth for the weight like the WM Flash or the Montbell UL Down Inner Parka (I like hoods).

To go with the puffy, I take a long sleeve base layer shirt - white so it's not too hot on the warmer days - and a exp. wt fleece zip-t and a precip jacket.

Just remember this isn't really winter - it's spring. If you want to cover any real distance it has to be in the spring.
DAVELA
Topix Regular

Post by DAVELA »

Thx for the replies.

okay so i bot a PAtagonia simple guide jacket and an R2 fleece jacket-50% sale @the PAtagonia store.I am returning the simple guide.
Paul,are you saying that i can get away with my nylon hiking pants?
I bot some cap2+3 tops n bottoms.
I guess my Patagonia rain shadow is good enough for a shell.

I guess i just need to buy down stuff for when i will be at camp/idle.I will be getting something a la sub zero.Dont know about pants tho.
http://www.suwa.org/protect-greater-canyonlands" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
paul
Topix Expert

Post by paul »

The nylon hiking pants are probably not water resistant enough. You need something that will handle fairly wet snow. Totally waterproof isn't a must (though it's nice if you can have it wihout sacrificing too much breathability), but pretty good water repellency is. The pants I use are made from EPIC fabric, and they work well for me. I used to use gore-tex pants, but these are lighter and more breathable. They do have a gore-tex seat in case I sit on something wet.
If I were shopping now, I'd take a look at pants made from eVent. Although most of the ones I have seen are only made in black, and I would not go for black pants for spring skiing.
Pants are one thing I've had a hard time finding to suit my tastes - most are too heavy. The ones I'm using now are 7 1/2 ounces.
DAVELA
Topix Regular

Post by DAVELA »

paul wrote:The nylon hiking pants are probably not water resistant enough. You need something that will handle fairly wet snow. Totally waterproof isn't a must......uld not go for black pants for spring skiing.
Pants are one thing I've had a hard time finding to suit my tastes - most are too heavy. The ones I'm using now are 7 1/2 ounces.
Any brand suggestions?................I have full zip wind/rain pants...black too!
paul
Topix Expert

Post by paul »

Unfortunately I don't have any brand suggestions - my pants are homemade. Pants are really easy to make if you keep them simple - no pockets for instance.