Mineral King, what are the conditions?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
oleander
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Mineral King, what are the conditions?

Post by oleander »

Hi,

Can anyone tell me the conditions in Mineral King right now? We may be headed towards Franklin Lakes/Pass.

Snow level?
Stream crossings?
Intensely high mosquito areas to avoid?
Marmots attacking cars?

Thank you!

We may go to Alta Meadow if we can't get a Franklin Lakes permit.
lambertiana
Topix Regular

Re: Mineral King, what are the conditions?

Post by lambertiana »

I went to Franklin Lake for a quick overnight on Friday, returning yesterday. Stream crossings are no problem, although if you want to keep your feet dry at the upper crossing of Franklin Creek at 10,000', you need to go about 30 yards upstream to hop rocks. I only saw a couple mosquitoes, and I did not have bug spray. One of my friends got bitten a couple times. The trail is essentially snow free, although there is one patch where you cross about 10' of snow about halfway to Franklin Lake. The trail above the lake is completely clear of snow to Franklin Pass, but I don't know about the other side.

The wildflowers are at full display right now, the heavy snow pack and cool spring/summer pushed the bloom later than normal. The spring about a half mile below the upper Franklin Creek crossing is flowing well with very cold water, much colder than the creek. And the stream coming out of Panorama Cave is flowing well, too. I did a quick taste test, pulling water from Franklin Creek and the Panorama stream just before they converged, and the water from Panorama cave tastes better.

It is late enough in the season that marmots don't seem to be a problem at the Franklin trailhead. There is plenty of natural food available for them to eat.
mhickey01
Topix Newbie

Re: Mineral King, what are the conditions?

Post by mhickey01 »

Went over Franklin
Pass on 8/15 easy to hike around snowfield on the other side. Trail down Rattlesnake Creek to the Kern River was in good shape.