My summer ramblings - Yosemite

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
BSquared
Founding Member
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: My summer ramblings - Yosemite

Post by BSquared »

markskor wrote:Just a serious aside here, it would be nice if we had a small cloth patch - suitable for sewing on top of a backpack, that was available for purchase - making it easier to recognize other HST members on the trail.
Maybe just a small, colorful, nondescript HST that stands out - this would make our "family" here easily recognizable to others.
It *would* be nice, indeed. Many times I've wished I could paste my "Got Mountains?" sticker on my pack, but of course it's too big and it would fall off. And I believe we have at least one artist amongst us who might be able to design such a patch, eh Markskor? Hmmm... How much does it cost to make a batch of custom-designed patches, anyone know?
—B²
markskor
Founding Member - RIP
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by markskor »

B² -
Thanks but do not think an "artist" is really needed here, as we already have a recognizable template.
What would be preferred, at least by this crusty woodsman, would be a small oval patch, reminiscent/similar to our "now-existing" HST LOGO...White with 3 black letters and black edging around.
Same colors (black and white), but could be colored too... and small, maybe 2 1/2"/1 1/4" ...nothing too garish. It should be cloth, super clean, and embroidered by a machine. I wish I knew someone who did such items.
Any members out there have any such embroidery connections?
BTW, Talked with Eric last night and he likes the idea too.
Mark
Mountainman who swims with trout
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator

Post by ERIC »

You mean this one?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

even a smaller version of the "Got Mountains?" sticker per Mark's specifications would work. I would prefer to put it somewhere on the outer front corner of my pack, such that it could easily be seen as I approach other backpackers. The sticker on my can already identifies me when in camp.
ERIC

Post by ERIC »

rlown wrote:even a smaller version of the "Got Mountains?" sticker per Mark's specifications would work. I would prefer to put it somewhere on the outer front corner of my pack, such that it could easily be seen as I approach other backpackers. The sticker on my can already identifies me when in camp.
...only with "HST" in the oval, right? Would TOPIX, or, HS TOPIX be acceptable alternatives? The unfortunate issue with the HST abbreviation is that at a glance it's usually mistaken for High Sierra Trail.
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Guess I wouldn't change the sticker. It already Identifies lots of our vehicles. I'd just shrink the sticker and make it out of cloth, like those you see sewn onto some peoples hats.
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

Just an oval HST - would work...small and tasteful.
(Those already in HST probably would not get too confused...well maybe OldRanger but what else is new?)...others would just ask what it means...sort of an exclusive club?
If not...would proudly wear a "Got Mountains" oval too.
Trying to keep the letters/ embroidery to a minimum though and keep costs down.
Mountainman who swims with trout
ERIC

Post by ERIC »

rlown wrote:Guess I wouldn't change the sticker. It already Identifies lots of our vehicles. I'd just shrink the sticker and make it out of cloth, like those you see sewn onto some peoples hats.
Uh, not liking that idea. At 2.5"x1.5" that full design would be nearly impossible, at least as it is now with the URL at a readable scale at the bottom. Either the name of the site (readable), the URL or other will be required if I'm going to go with this idea.
ERIC

Post by ERIC »

markskor wrote:Just an oval HST - would work...small and tasteful.
(Those already in HST probably would not get too confused...well maybe OldRanger but what else is new?)...others would just ask what it means...sort of an exclusive club?
Or, they would just assume it meant High Sierra Trail. I like TOPIX or HSTOPIX better.
juscro
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Post by juscro »

Does the patch mean I don't need to learn the secret handshake? But I guess it means I need to learn to stitch a patch without perforating every finger.