North Lake, over Lamarck Col. back out over Piute Pass TR

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
whrdafamI?
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: North Lake, over Lamarck Col. back out over Piute Pass TR

Post by whrdafamI? »

Thankyou Jeff!
Better to have it and not need it than it is to need it and not have it!

Get busy living or get busy dying.
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by ERIC »

TahoeJeff wrote:
If that doesn't earn Gary and his dog something in this country I don't know what does.
Amen to that!
Here here... :thumbsup:
Headed up this weekend with my best bud who just got back from his second tour. Among other sacrifices, missed the first year of his first child's life serving our country. Folks like this deserve a cut in slack.
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
mokelumnekid
Topix Expert

Post by mokelumnekid »

As much as I support anyone who elects to serve their country in ways that are legal and responsible- sorry, I don't buy into the "cut them some slack" approach with the dog. The rules are clear and there for everyone, it is as simple as that. That is how we manage a complex and very diverse group of users in the back country. You accepted that responsibility when you signed the wilderness permit. If you don't agree with it, change the laws, or find great destination in the National Forests like everyone else who likes packing with their dogs. There are many of them. There are a lot of things about the way the back country in the National Parks are managed that I don't agree with, but you sign the permit, you choose to take that responsibility. And if I can't abide the rules of the day I go somewhere else.

Great trip report, glad that everyone had a enjoyable and safe journey.
frediver
Topix Regular

Post by frediver »

That was definitely an assistance dog, all it takes is a note from a medic.
Any dog can qualify as long as a medic says the animal is necessary for the owners well being.
That said: if the dog is not under control and is found chasing game expect it to be shot!
Ozark Flip
Topix Regular

Post by Ozark Flip »

I really enjoyed your report Bill. And, having served 6-years myself, I fall under the “cut the Purple Heart recipients some slack”. We owe these guys! I never do the Motel thingy but I always stop by La Casita in Bishop upon return from my trips. Problem is, I can never finish the large portions….great place, set at the bar, eat, drink and listen to Vin Scully. God Bless America!
whrdafamI?
Topix Regular

Post by whrdafamI? »

Thankyou to all who enjoyed the report, took the time to say so and didn't feel the need to take on a "corrective role".

BBchris
Topix Novice

Post by BBchris »

Bill,
I'm glad that you guys had a good trip. We met you just above Darwin Bench (My girlfiend and I (Chris and Mallory)). Thanks for the tips on passing through the lakes and the col.
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic

Post by Cross Country »

Almost no one ever "deserves" special treatment and is above the law. We are not a country of justice. We are a country of laws and virtually everyone is expected to follow the law or accept the consequences.
I haven't always followed the rules -- far from it, but I was always willing to accept the consequences if caught, and without complaining.
I hope everyone here understands the "country of justice" thing.
Vaca Russ
Topix Expert

Post by Vaca Russ »

Bill Morell wrote:If that doesn't earn Gary and his dog something in this country I don't know what does.
Semper Fidelis!

-Russ
"...Or have you only comfort, and the lust for comfort, that stealthy thing that enters the house a guest, and then becomes a host and then a master?"

Kahil Gibran.
whrdafamI?
Topix Regular

Post by whrdafamI? »

Cross Country wrote:Almost no one ever "deserves" special treatment and is above the law. We are not a country of justice. We are a country of laws and virtually everyone is expected to follow the law or accept the consequences.
I haven't always followed the rules -- far from it, but I was always willing to accept the consequences if caught, and without complaining.
I hope everyone here understands the "country of justice" thing.
I understand what you mean. However what part of "We simply didn't care" is so hard to understand? It means that if we had been caught by Mr. Ranger then go ahead and write the damn ticket. I have seen behavior by people many times in NP's that was by far much worse then any poop dropped by Dude.
BTW, we buried Dudes poop just as we did ours in the proper manner.