My summer ramblings - Yosemite

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
markskor
Founding Member - RIP
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: My summer ramblings - Yosemite

Post by markskor »

B² -
Yes, (do not know how I missed this in my story -truly sorry) did run into you at Tuolumne complex/store and was very pleased to recognize another HST wanderer among all the other scraggly backpackers.
FYI, did go into the Meadows as invited that evening looking for you - waited a good hour too but alas, was "stood up". :crybaby: (Surprised that your ears were not ringing from my subtle comments made at the time.)
Figured you forgot or something came up... Anyway, there are worse places to be stranded and got over it fast.
Now you still owe me that drink, (you are on my list pal!) and looking to collect too.
Maybe next year.
BTW, B² is not as good looking as his photo suggests...Damn easterners.
Mountainman who swims with trout
BSquared
Founding Member
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by BSquared »

markskor wrote:BTW, B² is not as good looking as his photo suggests...Damn easterners.
Markskor, on the other hand, looks exactly like his photo. :nod: (ruggedly handsome!)

Last two words edited /added by Markskor for truth and dramatic effect...one of the perks (probably the only one too) of being an Admin here.
—B²
windknot
Topix Fanatic

Post by windknot »

Great trip, Mark! Love the story and the shots.
Hobbes
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by Hobbes »

A few weeks earlier than you @ the 'Bag. We parked @ Junction and walked up the closed road. We were hoping the dam was beginning to thaw to perhaps hook into some holdovers. If you look closely, you can see a rock in the lower left corner that we threw in hoping to break a hole. No such luck. Still, it was pretty weird being up there all by ourselves - really quiet, and quite different from prime time.

On the way back out, we ended up hitting one of the 120 lakes that was beginning to thaw at its inlet and caught a few holdovers.

Btw, you're older than me - how have you maintained such a good attitude vis-a-vis crowds? Or perhaps I'm just slowly becoming a hermit?
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

Btw, you're older than me - how have you maintained such a good attitude vis-a-vis crowds? Or perhaps I'm just slowly becoming a hermit?
Yes, ancient...Maybe also part hermit too but, at this point, not willing to take any BS from anybody helps. Clean living, a sarcastic demeanor, thick skin...and best of all being 100% self-contained are the keys to managing those crowded campsites. You have to be willing and able to just pack-up and leave.

Just as an aside here, as a solo, helps to be proactive. When I get to someplace like Tuolumne BP, always nice to pick a secluded site early, realizing that all will soon enough fill up. Thus you can then just sit back (in my case, while drawing and maybe working a fatty) - and selectively "invite" any of those stragglers coming in late to join you. BTW, Always pick those with name-brand, well-worn gear, some age showing through the trail-dust, and possessing that "look"...seems to work out fine. Met some real characters and some fine friends too.
juscro
Topix Novice

Post by juscro »

Man oh man...that sounds like time spent well. Since I'm a newbie...how do all of you folks recognize each other out in the wilderness? I've read on other posts where people run into other high sierra topix folks. Is there a secret handshake??

Sometimes I think I've been around the Sierra quite a bit and I read about your ramblings and I feel feel downright humbled. Not sure that is the word. It motivates me to realize that I can do more that just a weekender from the mayhem of silicon valley. Anyways, I hope to meet you on the trail someday. Thanks for the report!
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

juscro wrote: Is there a secret handshake??
Yes there is but...a Catch 22 here - as those privileged but regular long-time HST members already know, we cannot tell it to you here, instead someone must show it to you in person.
I believe it was Mike (our own OldRanger) or maybe it was TehipiteTom who informed me of this stipulation. Write to them, as they are the officially authorized "Royal Keepers of the Handshake" and the only ones able to divulge the "secret shake" via a PM.
If at first they feign ignorance, do not believe them...usually takes multiple requests to get them to open up and talk :-# .
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Mark, you didn't mention the ceremonial "HST" branding iron that ERIC holds; a simple press to the flesh on the outside of the right hand, and you're in! :D

The simple way is to post your picture on the "show yourself" thread, or any other thread, or your avatar, and If we see you, we'll know you. If you're wearing HST gear, like a hat, we'll know you. If you talk to a person and say, "why did you come here?", and they answer "I found this place on HST", we're expecting a TR when you get back.
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

Just a serious aside here, it would be nice if we had a small cloth patch - suitable for sewing on top of a backpack, that was available for purchase - making it easier to recognize other HST members on the trail.
Maybe just a small, colorful, nondescript HST that stands out - this would make our "family" here easily recognizable to others.
stanbery
Topix Acquainted

Post by stanbery »

markskor

That sounds like a great way to spend the summer.
nice art work as well.

Jon