North Lake, over Lamarck Col. back out over Piute Pass TR

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
whrdafamI?
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

North Lake, over Lamarck Col. back out over Piute Pass TR

Post by whrdafamI? »

1st day we started out around 0700 and were up at Upper Lamarck Lake by 10:00 am. We spent the night there and no tent was needed. Finding a dry area was a little difficult due to all the snow drifts still in the area. We camped just east of the outlet. Fishing was good there and it turned out to be the only fishing we did.

2nd day we got a early start and headed for the Col. There is a lot of standing water so picking up the trail was a mild inconvience. The serpentine climb up that mtn. was uneventful but soon we were in the snow fields. Nothing really major, they just take up a lot of your energy stepping through the sun cups. There are 6 of these to cross or at least there were last week. Finally got to the base of the Col. and the glacier is the biggest I have ever seen it. Nothing technical, trekking poles were all we used but you do need to be careful. The sign at the top of the Col. is gone. We did the boulder field on the other side and spent the night in between lakes #1 and #2. No skeeters = no tent.

3rd day we went down the Darwin Bench, hit the JMT and went north on it and spent the night in McClure Meadow just south of the Ranger Cabin. We needed the tent that night. Skeeters were out but not as bad as I would have thought.

4th day we made it down to the bridge at the Jct. of Piute Canyon trail and were tentless again.

5th day we made the long climb up the canyon. Getting across West Pinnacles Creek was more difficult then last year and was really ripping. Last time I saw my left hand trekking pole it was hauling ass down towards Piute Creek. A major loss as my wife gave me that set several years ago. We made it to Lower Golden Trout Lake and it was here that the mosquitos took things to a new level of terror. I was really happy that we had REI "Jungle Juice" and we became popular with those who didn't. This years trip was special to me as I was joined by my 2nd oldest son SGT. Garrison Morell and my niece SGT. Randi Stenkamp of the United States Marine Corp. I will post some pics later today.

6th day went out over Piute Pass back down to North Lake and on to Bishop. A room at Motel 6 and a 6 pack of Coronas. Dinner at Las Casitas was provided by 2 of the recipients of the "Jungle Juice".
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by whrdafamI? on Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Better to have it and not need it than it is to need it and not have it!

Get busy living or get busy dying.
windknot
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: North Lake, over Lamarck Col. back out over Piute Pass TR

Post by windknot »

Thanks so much for the report! Your signature is apropos following directly after that last line about the Jungle Juice. Looking forward to your pictures.
whrdafamI?
Topix Regular

Post by whrdafamI? »

More pics. They are not in order of the time-line but I'll just have to work on that next time around.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

Much enjoyed your report Bill. How did Dude climb up those suncups at the Col? Crampons on his boots? ;)
whrdafamI?
Topix Regular

Post by whrdafamI? »

Dave, we found that Dude did better on the snow without the boots. His toenails were like spikes and he had no problems at all.

rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

Loved the report, Bill. Esp, the "dude has had enough" shot.
whrdafamI?
Topix Regular

Post by whrdafamI? »

On a other Lamarck Col. post I have been corrected that the sign is still there. We must have gone through the wrong saddle that day but since it worked it was still a right one. Doesn't really matter much.
Last edited by whrdafamI? on Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

desertdawg
Topix Acquainted

Post by desertdawg »

Nice trip. Did it the opposite direction 2 years ago and a lot less snow.

I believe dogs are not allowed west of Lamrack Col in Kings Canyon NP.
whrdafamI?
Topix Regular

Post by whrdafamI? »

We were well aware of the dog not being allowed. We simply didn't care. I had 2 people with me who between them have 5 deployments in Iraq. Gary 3 and Randi 2. He has survived 7 IED explosions and has been awarded the Purple Heart. If that doesn't earn Gary and his dog something in this country I don't know what does.
Last edited by whrdafamI? on Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TahoeJeff
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by TahoeJeff »

If that doesn't earn Gary and his dog something in this country I don't know what does.
Amen to that!
"A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both."

Milton Friedman