Taboose Pass Corridor TR 7/27-7/31

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Taboose Pass Corridor TR 7/27-7/31

Post by maverick »

Hi Cali

Was thinking about your trip Calipidder while looking at the snow on Vennacher
Col, and the lightening overhead.
http://WildernessApertures.com/img/v21/p716219483-6.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
calipidder
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by calipidder »

Beautiful! While we were disappointed about not getting into Lake Basin it seems to me that this was clearly not the year - I can't wait for another year when conditions are a bit more 'normal'. It's such a beautiful area I'm already hatching future plans...
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Thanks! When you get the chance to visit the area try to include Amphitheater Lake Basin.
It really is worth the time/effort, especially if your lucky enough to get some weather!
Also the Observation Lakes Basin has some unique, and sub-lime views of the Devils Crags!
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Xosob
Topix Acquainted

Post by Xosob »

Have a trip planned RT from Bishop Pass to Upper Basin via Knapsack/Potluck/Cirque passes week starting week from this Th. I'm hoping Potluck and Cirque are manageable. Was planning on climbing Arrow & Split (Calipidder's experience useful to hear!) and back in the winter had planned to take Upper Basin Crossing into Amphitheater Lake. I'm expecting the cornice on Cataract Pass to be an obstacle to reaching Observation Peak -- how difficult is it to by-pass it? The route down to Deer Meadow doesn't sound bad by Secor and others, but will it pose issues this year w/ the heavy snow and its northern exposure? Doesn't look like I'll have enough time to make Lake Basin -- again last winter I had hoped to take Cartridge & Dumbbell Passes and not go through Upper Basin twice, but that doesn't look promising.