First time backpacking solo?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: First time backpacking solo?

Post by ERIC »

markskor wrote:Hey kids...maybe you should take your "P...ing contest" outside.
Agree to disagree, perhaps take a timeout, or just PM each other...
No need for public name-calling, etc, as you both are now fast losing credibility here.
Anymore of this, and will lock this thread down.
Not the HST way!
Mark
^^ I Agree
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
Flux
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by Flux »

I carry paper maps and spend copious amounts of time researching routes and looking for photos. I'll even print out photos if there is an X-country route feature or whatever that is a waypoint. I have a hard time feeling "lost" in the sierra because the drainages are so stark, I have never used a compass in the Sierra or Colorado. Darkness, snow, and storms obviously change these things greatly.

I read a forum called "14ers.com" which chronicles the Colorado peak bagging scene. I guess I like to keep up on the peaks I once gazed on. But more than a few MIA's and deaths have confirmed for me a couple things. One MIA was a guy from Chicago who was a well prepared and experienced backpacker. He had the kitchen sink with him, but no spot or PLB. He was last seen acting funny only a day into the trail. Still don't know where he is. Another MIA was a very strong hiker and he just never came out. Nobody knows why, but they found him in the spring. Lastly was a guy negotiating tough terrain solo. He texted from a cell that his GPS had died. Two other climbers confirmed that they saw him and told him they were on the right route but he begged to differ and eventually met his end in a fall.

I think when you solo, what you do and where you do it come greatly into play. GPS or not, I think I will most certainly carry a SPOT or PLB with me. I will have one when I head out with my kids because they are too big for me to carry and I wouldn't want them to have to care for me if I got in trouble. They can just push the button.

As far as GPS?? I suppose it's pretty situational as well. all these gadgets can prove to be of great use, but a printed map with some mileages always got me through just fine.

But really, check out this little guy:

http://www.acrelectronics.com/products/ ... k-406-gps/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

when solo, it's really hard to set up and press that SPOT device if you're dead. AT did say that it's a chain of mistakes or bad decisions. I believe that. Usually by my second mistake, I realize to stop, take stock, and maybe go back before I make another bad decision.

Bad weather, I hunker down and don't move.

My first solo was simple. out of Carson pass towards round top lk in the dead of winter. I knew that place like the back of my hand. So, when the snow hit at Winemucca lk, I just set up my bivvy and crawled in. Actually ran into a young couple the next day who were lost. Guided them out. That was '81. No GPS, just knowledge of where I was because I'd been there before. And yes, the tattered map was with me. So, I bring both map and GPS now. I like to see my GPS tracks after I get back to see how accurate I was being off-trail. Sometimes, not so fun to see.

Russ
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

Bottom line is that maps, compass, electronic devises, etc. are tools to aide and confirm your place on this Earth. When they become a crutch, your problems have arrived. And remember this, Yvon Chouinard's definition of adventure is most peoples definition of catastrophe. Learn to use your tools and find how they may work for you, but keep in mind, they are all merely back-up to help you develop your sense of where you are on this Earth.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
FeetFirst
Topix Regular

Post by FeetFirst »

Jimr wrote:Bottom line is that maps, compass, electronic devises, etc. are tools to aide and confirm your place on this Earth. When they become a crutch, your problems have arrived. And remember this, Yvon Chouinard's definition of adventure is most peoples definition of catastrophe. Learn to use your tools and find how they may work for you, but keep in mind, they are all merely back-up to help you develop your sense of where you are on this Earth.
Jimr, Good post! It reminds me of what an orienteering coach would always say, "Always know where you're at and you'll never be lost." It sounds obvious, but many will only consult a map, compass, GPS, friendly guidance, etc. when they've become "lost." Use those tools to stay found...
I'm still rather convinced that you can achieve more than you've ever dreamed of if you just lower your standards.