2011 Skeeter Reports

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
rams
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: 2011 Skeeter Reports

Post by rams »

The Robinson Creek trail near Twin Lakes (Bridgeport) was a 1 until you got to Barney Lake where it was a 3 on the shoreline and a 1 or 2 once the trail started to climb above the lake. The only time I spent at Twin Lakes was getting in and out of my car so I can't really rate conditions there.
windknot
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by windknot »

Kaiser Wilderness, 8/6-8/7: 1 during the middle of the day except for in swampy areas, 3-4 in swampy areas and in the morning and evening. We brought one of these:

Works wonders on mosquitoes and just silly fun, too. Great for kids, and even adults will admit to using them a bit more enthusiastically than expected.
East Side Hiker
Topix Regular

Post by East Side Hiker »

At Woods Lk the skeeters were abundant last weekend, but tolerable.
richlong8
Topix Expert

Post by richlong8 »

Would that be Woods Lake west of Sawmill Pass? or ?
Bargy
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Re: Glen Aulin, Young Lakes

Post by Bargy »

Aug 8-11. Tuolumne to Glen Aulin rated a 2 - we wore Ultrathon deet but no need for headnets. I didn't get any bites, others got maybe 2-3. However Young Lakes was very bad indeed - maybe a 5, having to stay in the tent all day on the zero day. Altitude is making a big difference right
now I guess.
Ron58
Topix Newbie

Post by Ron58 »

Vogelsang High Sierra Camp last Monday/Tuesday was a 5!
Mike McGuire
Founding Member

Post by Mike McGuire »

Bear Creek Diversion Dam to Florence Lake 8/7--8/13
Lower Bear Creek a mile or two from JMT junction, 2
Upper Bear Creek (@ Lake Italy Trail) 3
Sandpiper Lake 3
Marie Lake 4
Sally Keyes Lakes 4 lakeside, up on hill between lakes where I camped 3. That's a great spot for a camp, lot of shaded sandy flat areas. You do have to schlep your water up the hill. Lot of wingeing from people met on the trail about the bugs at S.K., many rating it a 5, but up on the hill it's pretty bearable. Overall, DEET did the job, head net not needed.

Mike
richlong8
Topix Expert

Post by richlong8 »

Heading to Duck Pass, Tully Lake area in two weeks. Any mosquito reports would be most appreciated.
rkelty
Topix Newbie

Post by rkelty »

Just back from a lovely trip, Wolverton/Tablelands/Pterydactal/Horn Col/Deadman Canyon/Roaring River/Avalanche Pass/Sphinx Creek/Cedar Grove. Took a mosquito hat - wore it. As you may imagine the mosquitos are still out due to the wet year. Had mosquitos every night and most days except at Roaring River. I would guess they were a 3 at Pear Lake Ranger Station and up into the lower Tableland. Also a 3 to 4 throughout most of Deadman. Few as it got drier up Avalanche (flies!) and at least a 4 at The Sphinx Creek crossing. None by the time you hit Bubbs Creek. As an aside, most incredible flowers in Deadman!. Happy hiking!
CarlC
Topix Newbie

Post by CarlC »

Emigrant Wilderness 8/11-8/14

Hyatt Lake - 3. Out during the day, but tolerable; really bothersome dusk and morning.
Upper Buck Lake (vicinity) - 5. Worst I've ever seen. Clouds of skeeters. No escape, they found us on granite slabs, away from water, everywhere. Unbearable at all times. Heavy on trail out to West Fork Cherry Creek crossing. After that, they dropped to a 1-2 all the way in to Crabtree.