Taboose Pass Corridor TR 7/27-7/31

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
KathyW
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Re: Taboose Pass Corridor TR 7/27-7/31

Post by KathyW »

Beautiful photos - thank you for sharing.

I agree that the key to Taboose Pass is an early start in the summer.
richlong8
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by richlong8 »

I have found that an hour before sunrise start is the best policy on the east side monsters
ManOfTooManySports
Topix Regular

Post by ManOfTooManySports »

Great report, great photos. I want to go!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Thank you to everyone who took there time to read, look, and comment.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Founding Member & Forums Administrator

Post by copeg »

Nice report and photos mav. Really like that shot of the view from the western side of Taboose. I've been dying to explore that area for several years (only time through was on the JMT) - Bench Lake, Arrow Peak area, Lakes Basin, Upper Basin, there's so much to explore up there.
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Post by giantbrookie »

Very nice. I'm envious, for that is one of my favorite places on Earth. I'm surprised by the high runoff in Taboose Creek. I was last through there in early July of 1997 (1997 was a fairly heavy winter although not quite like this), crossing Taboose Creek in the early evening of July 11 (this was a Sawmill-Taboose shuttle trip) and hardly noticed the water.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi GB

Thanks Copeg, and GB.
At the 8200 crossing the water was booming, especially the far side where it was over my
knees, and the current was pretty darn strong.
By the way GB, any idea what mineral (rock) do the strips on Striped Mountain consist of?
http://WildernessApertures.com/img/v27/p174140169-6.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
giantbrookie

Post by giantbrookie »

maverick wrote:Hi GB

Thanks Copeg, and GB.
At the 8200 crossing the water was booming, especially the far side where it was over my
knees, and the current was pretty darn strong.
By the way GB, any idea what mineral (rock) do the strips on Striped Mountain consist of?
http://WildernessApertures.com/img/v27/p174140169-6.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yes that is much more water than 11 July 2007 when the crossing was a few rock hops over calf deep water. As far as the light stripes on Striped Mtn. I haven't climbed up there myself, but I'd say those (light colored rocks) are probably aplite or pegmatite dikes cutting the metamorphic rocks (or dioritic rocks, not sure which) of Striped Mtn. The aplites tend to be fairly fined grained rocks rich in quartz and feldspar whereas the pegmatites I've seen in the Sierra that look like this (seen quite a few at Mt Agassiz and Pine Creek-Spire Lake area) tend to consist of coarse potassium feldspar and quartz with a smattering of other minerals including muscovite, biotite, and commonly some black tourmaline (some nice crystals in the pegmatites on Agassiz).
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

GB wrote:
As far as the light stripes on Striped Mtn. I haven't climbed up there myself, but I'd say those (light colored rocks) are probably aplite or pegmatite dikes cutting the metamorphic rocks (or dioritic rocks, not sure which) of Striped Mtn. The aplites tend to be fairly fined grained rocks rich in quartz and feldspar whereas the pegmatites I've seen in the Sierra that look like this (seen quite a few at Mt Agassiz and Pine Creek-Spire Lake area) tend to consist of coarse potassium feldspar and quartz with a smattering of other minerals including muscovite, biotite, and commonly some black tourmaline (some nice crystals in the pegmatites on Agassiz).
Thanks GB.

calipidder
Topix Regular

Post by calipidder »

Just got back from a week (went in on the 6th) over Taboose. The crossings were fine if you are comfortable with water - I had to change into my crossing/camp shoes and use poles for the 8000 ft crossing on the way out on Friday but everything else I was able to hop and stay dry in my hiking shoes. Water is dropping to comfortable levels now.

I'll have photos and a trip report soon but a brief conditions update from the week of Aug 6- 13:

We spent two nights at Bench (climbed Arrow - class 2 route over Arrow pass is clear) and then headed down the old JMT to Cartridge Pass. We wanted to go into Lake Basin but we hit the Pass at 6 pm and the north side had way too much shaded snow for us to feel comfortable crossing at that time of day. So we hauled back down to the big lake and had a nice night there. Next we went into Upper Basin and camped at lake 3535 for a couple nights with a climb of Split. There are some snow fields on Split and from the bottom it looks like the upper one might be blocking the summit but you can get around it easily (had to climb to about 13,900 to find that out, luckily it was fine). Lots of snow out there but it's all pretty navigable and easy to bypass except in the north facing and shaded cols/basins/passes.

Hiked all the way from Lake 3535 to Taboose TH on Friday. That's probably the biggest 'ouch' day I've had on the trail. Those ankle breaker rocks on the Taboose trail really sap the energy on the descent.

The stream crossing about half way through Upper Basin has a recently dead deer in it (about 50 ft up stream from the trail) - careful where you get water.