Local newspaper's take on PCT thru-hikers

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
TahoeJeff
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Local newspaper's take on PCT thru-hikers

Post by TahoeJeff »

Here is a little article from my local paper on how all the snow is affecting the PCT thru-hikers.

http://www.tahoedailytribune.com/articl ... ofile=1056" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both."

Milton Friedman
TehipiteTom
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Local newspaper's take on PCT thru-hikers

Post by TehipiteTom »

TahoeJeff wrote:Here is a little article from my local paper on how all the snow is affecting the PCT thru-hikers.

http://www.tahoedailytribune.com/articl ... ofile=1056" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Interesting.

I ran into 3 thru-hikers in one day last week near Mount Eddy (west of Mt. Shasta), and they all had harrowing tales of mile after mile of snow and shoulder-deep stream crossings. They did it, though, and the conditions make their accomplishment (up to that point--about 2/3 of the whole way) all the more impressive.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

TehipiteTom wrote: I ran into 3 thru-hikers in one day last week near Mount Eddy (west of Mt. Shasta), and they all had harrowing tales of mile after mile of snow and shoulder-deep stream crossings. They did it, though, and the conditions make their accomplishment (up to that point--about 2/3 of the whole way) all the more impressive.
Shoulder-deep stream crossings? That's not a crossing; That's a swim!
quentinc
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by quentinc »

Erin's PCT diary had lots of accounts of stream swims, as well as other near-disasters. I still think all those people left too early, given the conditions. The group I leap-frogged with around Glen Pass 5 weeks ago was about 2 weeks behind Erin, et.al., and was having no real problems (at least up to that point). I guess they might have to deal with storms in the Cascades, but with all the energy they saved in the Sierra, they might be able to catch up.
TehipiteTom
Founding Member

Post by TehipiteTom »

rlown wrote:
TehipiteTom wrote: I ran into 3 thru-hikers in one day last week near Mount Eddy (west of Mt. Shasta), and they all had harrowing tales of mile after mile of snow and shoulder-deep stream crossings. They did it, though, and the conditions make their accomplishment (up to that point--about 2/3 of the whole way) all the more impressive.
Shoulder-deep stream crossings? That's not a crossing; That's a swim!
No kidding! It's sure as hell deeper than I'd be comfortable with.

But he said in that case it was either waist-deep and very fast, or shoulder-deep but slow & placid. From that perspective, it's a little more understandable.
Troutdog 59
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by Troutdog 59 »

I have also been following the blog of Erin as she does the PCT and Quentinc's right about those fords in the Sierra in June. Just plain crazy and theres even a vid of them swimming with their packs :eek: :eek: :eek:

One guy (nicknamed Balls) with them at the time had to do each crossing 5 times, because his 11 year old daughter (nicknamed Sunshine) is doing the PCT with him. He would cross with his pack (1), back for Sunshines pack (2), back across with Sunshines pack (3), back for Sunshine (4), and then he would carry/help Sunshine across (5). Wow!!!!

I have to admit to have found the blog very fascinating as it never dawned on me all of the different equipment one needs for the various sections (no need for a bear contaner or ice axe in the desert i guess) and all of the logistics required to pull off such an undertaking. Down right impressive!!! And hats off to these folks called "Trail Angels" that help these folks out with rides to town, places to stay, caches, do laundry, etc. Very cool indeed.

Still, I dont have nor will have a desire to do such a trek, but I take my hats off to those of you that do. Simply awesome and inspiring!!
Once in a while you can get shown the light
In the strangest places if you look at it right.

The Grateful Dead