Temperatures at higher elevations

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
amigo
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: Temperatures at higher elevations

Post by amigo »

Thanks for the info. We have a limited amount of time so had to plan out every day. Drive from San Francisco to Mammoth Lakes, 3 day backpack in Ansel Adams Wilderness. 4th day would be a free day where we make our way to Tuolumne Meadows (TM) to backpacker's CG. After 2 days of hiking, we're back in Yosemite Valley (YV) backpacker's CG - we first get into the valley on a Friday evening but already have permits so we can stay in the backpacker's CG. I have read that holidays are horrible but we're just not sure how long we might be in a car lineup to get into the valley on a Friday evening coming from TM region. I guess we'll just have to play it by ear.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Because of the limited camping in Yosemite Vallley, most cars are day-trip people. In the evening most of them are going out, so it does back up on the out road- particularly between Curry Village and Yosemite Falls. Rush hour is about 4-6 PM. Since you are coming in, you will not likely have lines, but expect 20-30 mph. I would go directly to Curry Village (follow signs- stay on main road- do not turn off it). From Curry Village it is a short drive to North Pines, where you go in and temporarily park to unload your gear. You then have to move your car to permanant parking. Although park personel always say you must park at the BP parking lot, you can also park at Curry Village. Technically, Curry Village is private and they can boot you out, but they never have. There are bear boxes in the dirt parking lot. Be sure to not leave even one crumb in your car! After the crowds leave, you can more easily go down valley to Yosemite Village and Yosemite Lodge area. The Mountain Bar at Yosemite Lodge is quite nice with reasonably priced bar type food. For lunch outdoor patio next to the mountaineering store has a great taco salad. You can buy beer in the store next door and have it with your taco salad. Curry Village all-you-can eat breakfast is better than Yosemite Lodge cafeteria. You can also shower at Curry Village. You are within walking distance to the Awahane Lodge from the BP campground. Does not cost anything just to go look at it! The best thing you can do right now is get a good map of Yosemite Valley and study it so you can get around more easily.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

The patio lunch I cited above is at Curry Village. Dennigans Deli near the Visitor's Center is also quite good. When you come into Yosemite at Tioga, they will give you a quartly flyer- it has good information on the places to eat and the stores. I think it also has a pretty good map.
iHartMK
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by iHartMK »

Just came out of Sequoia and Kings Canyon NP backcountry... never needed my jacket once. It was very warm up there.
Living On Kaweah Time
cahiker
Topix Acquainted

Post by cahiker »

I stayed in the Yosemite Valley BP camp one Friday night last August and had a pleasant drive in from 120. No traffic at all. I probably arrived around 7-ish. There is also parking along the road on the way from North Pines CG as you approach Curry Village, although it could be all taken. No bear boxes there, but presumably you'll have all your smell-ables with you in the bear box at the BP camp. Less than a 10 minute walk back to camp.

As others have said I'd take the Sierra weather forecasts with a grain of salt. I haven't had a night below 40 in the last couple of years but I've had a lot of unforecasted rain. I'm probably due for a cold snap on my trip next week...
East Side Hiker
Topix Regular

Post by East Side Hiker »

We were at 8,300' last weekend, and didn't even need more than a comforter to keep us warm. Ah, California!
amigo
Topix Acquainted

Post by amigo »

Sounding great. Thanks all for your inforomative feedback. Really appreciate it.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

I select the sleeping bag I take based on predicted night temperatures. I am leaving tomorrow for a week's trip to Sphinx Lakes and Brewer Creek and will be camping above timber at 11,000 feet elevation. NWS forecasts just at or a bit below freezing at that elevation. So I am taking my 10-degree bag since I only have a 45-degree and a 10-degree bag to choose from.

Oh the other hand, my clothing taken depends on daytime temperatures. There are big temperature swings at high altitude- I plan on being inside my bag as soon as shadows hit my campsite- so daytime clothes are geared to the 50's and for lots of wind. Right now I am trying to decide if to bring a down vest- not really needed but sure nice to have on cold mornings- we are going to climb so will be doing some crack-of-dawn mornings. I do have the option of staying in my sleeping bag and cooking breakfast in the vestibule of my tent. If you are the kind of person who likes to sit around in the evening and not go to bed early, a down vest or down sweater is really nice. You could however just wrap your sleeping bag around your shoulders.

I have found that the NWS predicted temperatures are pretty accurate. You can zoom in on their little map and click on the exact place you plan to camp. The temperatures are estimated using computer modeling based on elevation and terrain. When you zoom in, the NWS website now uses Google Maps so you even get contour lines! Also look at their "tabular forecast"- it gives you an hour-by-hour prediction of temp, wind, precip probability and other things. Again, it is all generated by computer modeling. It appears that you will be below 9000 feet and mostly camped in timber- in that case you will not likely have very cold night temperatures.
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

Spent more than a few nights at 1000 Island and have come to expect almost anything there. You could get lucky and it will be "balmy" - nightly lows in the 40º range, (in which case the bugs will probably eat you alive), or it could just as easily drop below freezing. Also, frequently high winds do arise there (which always totally messes up the great fishing). In short - hard to figure that place out beforehand, but always plan for the worse case scenario - just saying.
FWIW, was there 3 weeks ago and overnight temps always froze. Carrying a 15º bag (never zipped up at night) made sleep easy (hate being cold at night) and spent the entire days wearing shorts, with a good layer of fleece mornings and evenings.
Bring Deet!
Great trip and have fun.
Mountainman who swims with trout
Shawn
Topix Fanatic

Post by Shawn »

a week's trip to Sphinx Lakes and Brewer Creek and will be camping above timber at 11,000

Ah - one of my favorite places, hope you bring back photos. The first time I was up there, as a pure novice I really froze my backside off late in the season. Woke up in the middle of the night with everything on the interior side of the tent frozen. Last time I was up there, I slept like a baby in a properly rated sleeping bag out in the open (next to the upper most lakes).