Upper kern basin camping

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
overheadx2
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Upper kern basin camping

Post by overheadx2 »

I'm headed over shepherds pass on the 20th, and am planning on camping at Anvil the first night then going past the Tyndall Junction and camping one night around lake of SA or the upper Kern basin before dropping in and doing some fishing in the Kern trench to the little Kern Lake. Lake of S.A. area seems pretty sparse and open to weather. Any suggestions as to areas to camp in there? Also any lakes that are great for fishing as well as lakes that are dead? Thanks
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Re: Upper kern basin camping

Post by Wandering Daisy »

It is an 800 foot climb to Lake South America, even if you go cross country,more if you stay on the trail. I never found it very pretty. If you are willing to go that far on a side trip, why not go to Wrights Lake Basin. From the trail at about 3500 (11,550) go over the saddle 3680 (12050) and drop to basin - its about 500 feet gain and I think Wrights Lake Basin is a lot more scenic. The cross country travel is not too bad and it is hard to get lost because the pass is obvious.

I have also been up Milestone Basin- really nice but not sure if any fish there.
jimmeans
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by jimmeans »

I'm getting ready to leave on a trip where we (party of 3) will be coming down from Shepherd Pass on the morning of the 21st, so maybe we'll pass on the trail. If our itinerary holds we will be coming from Lake SA after following the Kern north.

jimmeans
overheadx2
Topix Expert

Post by overheadx2 »

Thanks for the insight. I am thinking of heading south camping at W.B. one night and skipping Lake of SA and the Upper Kern Basin altogether.
Last edited by overheadx2 on Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
overheadx2
Topix Expert

Post by overheadx2 »

Jim, since we will be hitting the pass on the 21st, we'll probably see you. Well be a party of three as well. Look for a really tall guy (thus overhaedx2). I think we'll be headed into WLB, so if I don't see yo by the pass, I probably won't.Have a safe trip, Phil
ManOfTooManySports
Topix Regular

Post by ManOfTooManySports »

We liked Lake South America, partly because we like it well above treeline, and partly because we had the basin to ourselves. Here's a picture of our campsite. There were a few other sites in the rocks, but it was slim pickings overall. We went in 2008 as a side trip on a Kearsarge to Whitney Portal trip.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
quentinc
Topix Expert

Post by quentinc »

Lake South America is nothing special, but the lakes and whole area below it in the upper Kern basin are very beautiful, particularly if you have time to wander off-trail to the west (or better yet, go x-country all the way until the junction with that awful cut-off trail). Wright Lakes are nice, but I'd take the upper Kern over them. Unless you need to cut out days, I'd keep that part of the trip.
overheadx2
Topix Expert

Post by overheadx2 »

Thanks for all the info! If the basins are similar in beauty, I think I'm inclined to head over to the Kern basin for a little more solitude before dropping into the popular Kern trench. I'm sure I'll get my fishing jones handled on the Kern river and Kern Lake. I'm assuming there are some nice camping areas by the milestone creek junction.