Multi-stage food storage-- Mammoth

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
SoCalSis
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Multi-stage food storage-- Mammoth

Post by SoCalSis »

Hello, I'm new to High Sierra Topix and have found it to be a wealth of valuable information. Did a search for this topic but couldn't find info on my particular situation. We'll be car camping then backpacking then condo-ing in the Mammoth area next week, and I'd like to be able to store food for our 'post-packing' leg. I found the rules for storage at Reds Meadows, but transport is a little problematic, with the shuttle, and it's too late to mail. I know there are lots of resorts in the Mammoth area-- are any particulary helpful in storing a box or two of food for a week? We'll be getting a wilderness permit the day before hiking so we aren't sure just which trailhead we'll be heading out from, but will have some time to shuttle our vehicles and hopefully store our extra food somewhere. We were thinking nostalgically about those old bus station lockers-- but those are gone since 9/11.

Any ideas? Thanks---
Snow Nymph
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Multi-stage food storage-- Mammoth

Post by Snow Nymph »

If you want to drop food off at Reds Meadow, you just take the shuttle ($7) from the Main Lodge. I just dropped a box off for friends doing the JMT. Just put your name, number and date of pick up and pay $1/day.

If you can get the box here before I leave next week, I can help out.
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SoCalSis
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Re: Multi-stage food storage-- Mammoth

Post by SoCalSis »

Thanks for the info and the offer, Snow-- I'm still poking around for alternate storage sites for flexibility. Talked to the guy in charge of renting lockers at Mammoth Mountain Inn, who said it is possible to rent their ski lockers for multiple days, and as long as the food is non-perishable and we don't leave it longer than say 5 days it won't be a problem. Would be $8 to rent a locker, and that's it. The guy seemed really casual about it, hinting that storing food wasn't officially allowed but shouldn't be a problem under these conditions. Has anyone else used this option?
Thanks again!