TR: South Lake to North Lake to South Lake complete loop

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
orbweaver
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Re: TR: South Lake to North Lake to South Lake complete loop

Post by orbweaver »

"Who can do anything he used to, it just takes a little longer!"

Exactly right for me, except I'd remove the "little". :)
DoyleWDonehoo
Founding Member

Post by DoyleWDonehoo »

KPeter, that was an awesome trip with some great pictures. I tip my hat to you for your planning and execution. And nothing like some trips to drop a few extra pounds: I have lost 10 pounds so far myself (starting from the time I saw you on the trail earlier this year). I have done segments of that trip, but never put together like that. That was a good plan. That area is one of my favorites in the Sierra. I have long wanted to go up to Ladder Lake (there use to be a trail to it), and I think one of your pictures had Ladder Cascade in it. Good TR!!
Doyle W. Donehoo
Sierra Trails:
http://www.doylewdonehoo.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
dsotm
Topix Newbie

Post by dsotm »

No real problem with mosquitoes then? Coming from Arizona to do this loop in 2 weeks. Looks like it's going to be worth the trip!
http://jinkle.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
quentinc
Topix Expert

Post by quentinc »

Great TR, with a nice personal touch. And at 52, you have plenty of years left for more trips like this! (At least that's what I tell myself. :))
kpeter
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by kpeter »

dsotm wrote:No real problem with mosquitoes then? Coming from Arizona to do this loop in 2 weeks. Looks like it's going to be worth the trip!
Mosquitoes were horrible at the upper Tyee Lakes and pretty bad at Piute. They were all above 9500 feet when I was there, and so lower Piute canyon and Goddard Canyon were completely free of them. Evolution Valley and Evolution Lake might have been bad, but it rained and they did not come out. I encountered them again coming up to and traveling through Dusy Basin, but I passed through quickly enough that they were not a problem for me. Again, people reported them being bad in the Long Lake area.

In short, by the time you do this trip, they will probably be confined to the highest elevation band.
kpeter
Topix Fanatic

Post by kpeter »

DoyleWDonehoo wrote:I have long wanted to go up to Ladder Lake (there use to be a trail to it), and I think one of your pictures had Ladder Cascade in it.
Thank you Doyle, I've long so admired your trip reports and they were really the inspiration for me to try to give a little something back.

I took a look at the maps and while I have a shot or two of cascades coming down the west side of Le Conte canyon, they are north of the Ladder Lake/Cascade area. If (from my vantage on the east wall of the canyon, coming up the Dusy switchbacks) I had pivoted and taken the shot to the SW instead of to the W or NW I could have gotten the Ladder Cascades, but I did not. It does indeed look like a very interesting spot.
Last edited by kpeter on Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
kpeter
Topix Fanatic

Post by kpeter »

frediver wrote:The weather conditions have really thrown a wrench into
plans this year, I hope winter snows do not start early. Whacha think???
It hailed on me, and I was told by other backpackers that the day before I got to the Evolution area there were as much as two inches of hail that accumulated. That was in July. So be prepared for anything, but September is usually a good month in the Sierras.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Well my reply got lost in the big black iternet hole! So here we go again. I have been up to Ladder Lake via two routes- from lower LeConte Canyon and leaving the PCT on the east side of Black Giant. The latter is my preference, although it is more "technical" requiring LOTS of talus hopping and a few steep snow sections, depending time of year. The lower route is more miserable, and you have to find a crosssing (not easy). There are game trails to be found, but we still had to do a considerable amount of bush whacking. It got easier as we ascended. Ladder Lake is wonderful- well worth the effort. If anyone is interested I might be able to dig up some maps with the routes.
DoyleWDonehoo
Founding Member

Ladder Lake

Post by DoyleWDonehoo »

Wandering Daisy wrote:I have been up to Ladder Lake via two routes-... Ladder Lake is wonderful- well worth the effort. If anyone is interested I might be able to dig up some maps with the routes.
I would like to see the maps and routes, but also most of all pictures if you have them. I have read about the area in Fiddler's Sierra Classics (and the class 2 route on The Citadel), which has few details. By all accounts Ladder Lake is very nice. Thanks in advance.
Doyle W. Donehoo
Sierra Trails:
http://www.doylewdonehoo.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Sorry, I did not take a camera on this trip. Here is the map.