2011 Skeeter Reports

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: 2011 Skeeter Reports

Post by maverick »

Taboose Eastern- none
Taboose Western- 1
JMT- 2
Bench Lake- 3
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
kpeter
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by kpeter »

Third and Fourth Tyee Lakes and Table Mountain--4 or 5. A recent hatch with billowing clouds of them. First and second Tyee Lakes seemed to be below mosquito elevation.

Piute Lake--3-4. They were numerous and persistant in the evening.

Goddard Canyon--1

Evolution Valley--1, but the rain might have temporaily suppressed them when I was there.

Evolution Lake--I encountered none early in the morning, but others complained they had been very bad.

Wanda lake, Muir Pass--none, above snow line.

Upper and lower LeConte canyon--I only passed through in the afternoon and encountered none when I did.

Dusy Switches--2.

Dusy Basin--3 when I passed through in the morning. They were annoying when I stopped to get water.

Long Lake basin. 2-4? I encountered a few as I passed through, but many complained about them and other hikers wore bug hats as they hiked.
quentinc
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by quentinc »

Northern Humphreys Basin - 5. As bad as anything I've encountered.
The equivalent elevation on the other side of the ridge (French Canyon) was a 1, even though the area is full of water. How does this work? The same phenomenon in the Kearsarge area, where north of Glen Pass was awful and south wasn't bad at all.
KathyW
Founding Member

Post by KathyW »

Whitney Portal to Guitar Lake this weekend - I think I saw two mosquitoes the whole weekend - I never needed to use bug spray.
hikerdmb
Topix Acquainted

Post by hikerdmb »

August 2-4 to 11,100' in the Middle Fork of Bishop Creek drainage was a 3 in the early mornings and evenings. In some of the wetter meadow areas it was about a 1-2 during the middle of the day. Very manageable with deet and head net. And a great time to go!
bheiser1
Topix Regular

Post by bheiser1 »

This weekend, I went along the Isberg Trail (western side of Ansel Adams wilderness) up to the last viewpoint before the trail descends to Hemlock Crossing... in on Sat mid day, out late in the day on Sunday...

There were a few spots where the skeeters were a "1". In a few places they were a 2 or 3. However the majority of the trip was a "4" or "5". At times it was difficult to breath without consuming them. Several times i had to pick them out of my eyes. Seriously.

They were heavy even mid-day, especially in wooded areas (most of this trail). In open spots, especially in the mid day sun, they were lighter, but still present. Plus, in the sunny spots, there were also lots of larger flies.
gochicagobears!
Topix Acquainted

Post by gochicagobears! »

Desolation Wilderness 8/6-8/8
Aloha: 3-4 at dawn and throughout the day and evening.
Heather and Susie: zero. Amazing difference going downhill a bit.
hiker97
Topix Novice

Post by hiker97 »

August 5-8 Ansel Adams Wilderness
In the wooded, marshy areas and meadows, even mid-day was a "3". At Ediza Lake, evening and early morning hours were a "4" with mid-morning rising to a "5". The Shadow Creek stretch between Shadow Lake and Ediza varied from 1-2 mid-day to a 3-4 in the evening/early morning hours. Wonderful breezes were blowing through the canyons and along the switchback areas. SJ River crossing to Shadow Lake = 0-1. 10,000' pass south of Garnet Lake down to Garnet = "1" mid-day. With a mosquito head net for evening/morning and diligent application of a 40% deet spray, I was able to hike in shorts and short-sleeved shirt over half the time and have very few bites to show for the 3-day/2-night trip. Skeeters not anywhere near as bad as I was expecting!
norak
Topix Acquainted

Post by norak »

Hoover Wilderness, Aug. 4-8. Virginia Lakes TH to Summit Lake, West Lake, East Lake, hike out. I was girding myself for the worst but miraculously, hardly any mosquitoes! None at all at Summit Lake, a few at West and East lakes but pretty anemic and probably completely gone in a few days. They swarmed at a few boggy spots on the trail but I only used repellent once, and the natural kind at that!
http://noraakino.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Snow Nymph
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Snow Nymph »

Convict Canyon on Sun 8/7, bugs near lakes, meadows and in the shade: 3-4. I used Ultrathon (34% deet), and it was ok. They were bouncing off my face after, but not biting. Be sure to apply deet for wading, that's where they got me. The second time I put it on as soon as I took my boots off and they didn't bother me.

We hiked from Laurel Lakes Road to Mt Baldwin, which means 2000' gain at end of hike. I saw the post about the Convict Creek crossing (old bridge crossing, didn't look good), so thats why we went that way.
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;