Advice on Ansel Adams Wilderness

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
ChasingRainbows
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Advice on Ansel Adams Wilderness

Post by ChasingRainbows »

I consider myself an experienced backpacker, but the other folks who are joining me will be taking their first backpacking trip. Any advice on backpacking with "beginners?" We will be heading out of Bowler or Clover Meadow TH in Sierra NF. We are going for 2 nights and plan on exploring the many lakes in the area and possibly climbing Fernandez Pass for the view, if the conditions are mild. I may take an extra night and head up to the Isberg peak area on my own. Any advice on the area would be appreciated.
Thanks!
gary c.
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Re: Advice on Ansel Adams Wilderness

Post by gary c. »

Try to keep the miles minimal and the free time to relax and smell the roses your main goal. It's pretty hard to get new people excited about backpacking if all they relate it to is exaustion.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
Carne_DelMuerto
Topix Expert

Post by Carne_DelMuerto »

I agree, don't push them too hard. Also, make sure they bring proper warm clothing and sleeping bags--nothing worse than being so cold, you can't enjoy the scenery or even worse, you can't sleep.

I like to have one of those "wow" moments for my crew as well--a spot along the hike where the view opens up and everyone stops and all the hard work is worth it. (Not hard to do the Sierra, thankfully.) Always nice to plan for one of those. :D
Wonder is rock and water and the life that lives in-between.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

When exactly are you going, and have you reviewed their equipment?
ChasingRainbows
Topix Acquainted

Thanks for the advice. I agree, and we have already had a "meeting" to discuss bringing appropriate clothing and gear. Additionally, we have talked about what we all want out of the trip, and have decided that we will only hike half the day (at most), spending the rest of the time enjoying our surroundings.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

I'm guessing this isn't a fishing trip... Either trail looks up-hill and long if you want Fernandez.. I'm also guessing you mentioned skeeters to your group.
ChasingRainbows
Topix Acquainted

I am guessing that I will cook as many brookies as I want for dinner, but this isn’t exactly a “fishing trip.” My last solo trip in the area was to chase fish (viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6657" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;), and my extra day up to Isberg might be for purposes of fishing. If anyone has some insights on the area, a PM is always appreciated. This is a trip to enjoy company and introduce folks to backpacking in the Sierra. I have talked to them about the possibilities of inclement weather and skeeters. One of the reasons I chose this area is that there are many different lakes at various elevations, and we will hopefully be able to find an elevation where the mosquitoes are minimal. We will head out Friday.
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic

Post by wildhiker »

I took my family (kids 5-10 years old) backpacking to Lady Lake many years ago starting at the Norris trailhead off Beasore Rd. They made it the whole way (about 4 miles and 1600 feet elevation gain, I believe) in one day. This was a beautiful lake with a sweep of clean granite up to Madera Peak behind it. Walking out on the ridge a bit on the east side gave a good view over the whole basin up to the park boundary. Lots of folks stop at Vandeburg Lake to camp, about a mile before Lady Lake, but it's in a heavily forest hole and not very scenic, in my opinion.