First time backpacking solo?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: First time backpacking solo?

Post by AlmostThere »

ChinMusic wrote:Gee. So what have we learned in this thread.

GPS users are fools who don't know their limitations.
GPS/SPOT users are fools who rely on pushing buttons to get out of trouble.
GPS users stare at a screen all day but really don't know where they are.

paleeeeeze
What you should have read from what was said:

SOME PEOPLE don't know their limitations.
SOME PEOPLE rely on devices to their detriment.
SOME PEOPLE need more skill development.
It's best to not be one of SOME PEOPLE. Information and skill building are more important tools than electronics, because they are something you can carry with you everywhere, no matter what.

I make no judgments on whether you are "some people." You could have been someone trying to mock me or have fun at my expense, constantly pushing my buttons. What you would perhaps have not understood is that I don't care about that and saw an opportunity to provide information that others can learn from. Welcome to the internet, where your conversation happens in public. Whether you benefit from information others give you is entirely on you.

One of our SAR team's goals is preventative - we train Boy Scouts to use compasses, post advice to hikers at trailheads, and spread the word via presentations in various forums to always be aware of where you are, and how to know when you're in trouble. Information on the limitations of the equipment you have is an important thing to know.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

ChinMusic wrote:
AlmostThere wrote:You need to google up the story of the 70-something backpacker with 60+ years of experience who died on Whitney in late 2009. They found his jacket, his shoes, his full backpack, and then found him, sitting dead on a rock. Also google up "paradoxical undressing."
And this has what to do with the price of beans?

"Paradoxical undressing" is a well-know phenomena. In simple terms he froze to death and in the late stages felt "hot". Prior to this being well known it was thought these cases involved criminal activity.
You are demonstrating the attitude that "I have my GPS and sat phone so I am going to be fine no matter what." That's a bad assumption. Those situations where you are mentally compromised somehow are situations where you will not be likely to take advantage of either object - and they are notoriously easy to fall into without noticing, which makes them a risk for solo hikers who have no one with them to notice their symptoms and intervene, which is entirely in context for the thread.

You want to keep the conversation going, I'm going to throw educational material into it until it dies.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

and then there's lil' tidbit by Carne in "the campfire" on Solar flares affecting GPS, etc which peaks in 2013 at viewtopic.php?f=9&p=47077#p47077" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ChinMusic
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by ChinMusic »

AlmostThere wrote:
ChinMusic wrote: You are demonstrating the attitude that "I have my GPS and sat phone so I am going to be fine no matter what." That's a bad assumption.
I'll let you play with your straw man.

You could NOT be further from the truth, but I doubt you care.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

ChinMusic wrote:
AlmostThere wrote:
ChinMusic wrote: You are demonstrating the attitude that "I have my GPS and sat phone so I am going to be fine no matter what." That's a bad assumption.
I'll let you play with your straw man.

You could NOT be further from the truth, but I doubt you care.
Shouldn't play around with people online. Sometimes they really don't.

Straw man, issue, concern, information. Rebrand it however it plays out in your world.
ChinMusic
Topix Acquainted

Post by ChinMusic »

AlmostThere wrote: Rebrand it however it plays out in your world.
My world is not that of the luddite.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

ChinMusic wrote:
AlmostThere wrote: Rebrand it however it plays out in your world.
My world is not that of the luddite.
Which tells me you don't read me at all correctly. I use and embrace technology - I just don't pretend that it's the end-all, be-all solution that so many have decided it is.

I'm perfectly happy to be incorrect in my reading of your "information" presented here... You don't get to dictate how people react to you any more than I get to dictate how people react to me. Is what it is.
ChinMusic
Topix Acquainted

Post by ChinMusic »

AlmostThere wrote:Which tells me you don't read me at all correctly. I use and embrace technology - I just don't pretend that it's the end-all, be-all solution that so many have decided it is.
I don't think I can tell you ANYTHING. You either choose not to, or are not capable of reading my posts.

I CLEARLY stated, in my FIRST post, that I "carry a paper map".

I have given examples of the situations that GPS is superior, others have as well, YOU just choose to ignore these.
ChinMusic wrote:Personally, I carry a paper map (am near quiting that for many trips), but cannot remember ever looking at one for help in years. I carry a standard GPS, with loaded maps (usually trail data too). My iPhone also has the maps and serves as a GPS backup (no cell service necessary). On the AT (deep in the woods with no landmarks) I can tell EXACTLY where I am, day or night, rain or fog.

Maps would have not helped me in the snow this year in Yosemite. With my GPS I knew within a few feet of where the trail was under me. Never made a wrong turn. I read trail journals where PCT thrus could not find the trail to Cathedral Pass (side trip) with map/compass. Piece of cake for me.

Give me technology ANY time.
AlmostThere wrote:I'm perfectly happy to be incorrect in my reading of your "information" presented here...
CLEARLY............ :lol:
TRAUMAhead
Topix Acquainted

Post by TRAUMAhead »

Yasha wrote:I have attached my back packers list for the high Sierra might help you in the process
Thanks for the list. I have a list compiled of my gear and I noticed I'm lacking a first aid kit, definitely need to build one.
“The word adventure has gotten overused. For me, when everything goes wrong - that’s when adventure starts.” - Yvon Chouinard
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

Hey kids...maybe you should take your "P...ing contest" outside.
Agree to disagree, perhaps take a timeout, or just PM each other...
No need for public name-calling, etc, as you both are now fast losing credibility here.
Anymore of this, and will lock this thread down.
Not the HST way!
Mark
Mountainman who swims with trout