Advice: PCT, cross-country Bigelow-Snow, Leavitt-Latopie Lak

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
acvdmlac
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Advice: PCT, cross-country Bigelow-Snow, Leavitt-Latopie Lak

Post by acvdmlac »

Hi,

We're a small group of Level 2-3 hikers, lots of trail backpacking and some cross-country experience but none that requires tricky route finding, Class 3 climbing, or snow/crampon/ice ax work.

We're planning a trip out of Leavitt Meadows starting August 13, returning the 22nd. We'd like to do a couple of short cross-country sections from Snow to Bigelow Lakes, just south of Emigrant Pass, and then return along the PCT from Emigrant Pass, over Big Sam, drop down to Leavitt Lake, continue cross-country to Latopie Lake and back up to the PCT before a final descent to finish at Sonora Pass.

The terrain doesn't look too difficult from the topos, but I read that the slopes north of Latopie Lake are avalanche prone in heavy snow years, and also that (as of end of July) there is still a fair amount of snow above 10.000 feet that makes the PCT section from Emigrant Pass north to Sonora Pass involve some snow-sliding and alternate route-finding.

Any current trail conditions, or suggestions from historical experience, would be much appreciated! :nod:
BillyBobBurro
Topix Regular

Re: Advice: PCT, cross-country Bigelow-Snow, Leavitt-Latopie Lak

Post by BillyBobBurro »

I have x-country hiked from Snow to Bigelow lake. Very easy, just stay low as you go. On that trip I used the Leavitt Lake trailhead. Expect plenty of company at Leavitt Lake and note that all of the camp sites there seem to be 4x4 accessible.

If you get close to the Twin Lakes on the Emigrant/Yosemite boundary I strongly recommend a day hike to the area south of them. Your map should show some ponds and bogs up hill from the area between lower and upper twin lakes. This area is full of little ponds and wetlands and is one of the more unique places in the Sierras. Very scenic but no fish up that way.

-Bill
acvdmlac
Topix Acquainted

Re: Advice: PCT, cross-country Bigelow-Snow, Leavitt-Latopie Lak

Post by acvdmlac »

Thanks, BillyBobBurro! Appreciate the reply. Happy trails to you this summer...