Florence Lake to Evolution Valley

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
AaronRDavis
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Florence Lake to Evolution Valley

Post by AaronRDavis »

Heading out for 5 days on this trip next week. Plan on doing some fly fishing and exploring in Evo Valley area. Any tips or "must see" areas in this general area? Should I be sure to day hike to Evo lake?

Also..I am trying to find a definite answer today.. are bear canisters required on this trail or in Evo valley?

thanks,
Aaron
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Florence Lake to Evolution Valley

Post by AlmostThere »

Bear canisters are required in the national parks - everywhere in Yosemite, and in specific areas of Kings Canyon which are listed on their website.

I would take the bear canister, if I were you, whether it's required or not, especially if you don't know how to effectively hang food in active bear areas. Canisters are much easier and don't require you to be in the vicinity of large trees, which gives you more freedom to camp where you like without having to walk an inconvenient distance.
ManOfTooManySports
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by ManOfTooManySports »

The hike to Evo Lake is much worth the trip. There is a spot on the way up where the views are a 13 on a scale of 1-10.

Bear canisters are not required, but highly encouraged: http://www.nps.gov/seki/planyourvisit/bear_bc.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Where bear cannisters are not required, you are still supposed to "bear proof" the food. If a ranger does not think your food is bear proof you can still get a citation. If you are above timber it is tricky to hang in a bearproof manner from cliffs and huge boulders. I have an Ursack with smell-proof liner, that although is not SEKI approved for required areas, is OK for non-required areas. I would not go out and buy an Ursack, though. Taking an approved cannister is still the best
ManOfTooManySports
Topix Regular

Post by ManOfTooManySports »

Another advantage of bear canisters over bags and Ursacks is that marmots and other varmints can't get at your food. Varmints can chew through Kevlar! Many, many, many years ago--back in the day of counterbalances--I came back to my pack from a climb to find varmints raiding my backpack. :eek: We bring canisters even when not required if we think there is a risk of varmints getting at our food.