2011 BACKCOUNTRY CONDITIONS UPDATES

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
marvinartist
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Re: 2011 BACKCOUNTRY CONDITIONS UPDATES

Post by marvinartist »

cgundersen wrote:marvinartist,
great sunset colors; so where did you wind up going?
cg

Saturday I stayed in the Jennie Lakes Wilderness. On Sunday I walked through the rain to Pear Lake and got torn up by mosquitos. I met a couple from Canada on the way out that spent the night at Emerald Lake i believe. They said mosquitos were so bad they were considering leaving the park altogether.

At Pear Lake I climbed up the ridge east of pear lake and got a glimpse of Moose Lake, but didn't go all the way there. I took the sunset pictures from that ridge.

MondaynI walked back to my car because I smashed the cap of my water bottle and needed to get another one. So i took that opportunity to get some beers, and then went out to Panther Gap and camped there for the night. Went to the top of Panther Peak that afternoon.

Tuesday I climbed Alta Peak in the morning and then went back and took my camp to Mehrten Meadow for the night. Wednesday I went back to the car and back home.

Few more pictures: http://imgur.com/a/HTucN#9iChQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
quentinc
Topix Expert

North Lake to Upper Granite Basin 7/30 - 8/3

Post by quentinc »

KPeter already has posted a great report on the hike over Piute Pass. Just wanted to add that it's easiest to cross the Desolation "River" that has taken over the trail by dropping down from the trail about 50 feet and finding easy rock hopping. I didn't find this until the way back, and it completely threw off my itinerary (will post TR later).

The hail on Saturday was so hard I began to wonder if anyone had ever been pummeled to death by hail before. But the person I want to kill is whoever designed the Marmot Precip -- I was soaked to the skin within 20 minutes.

Puppet Pass is easy. Wish I had been able to get to it, instead of "Slippery Granite Pass," a mile to the north. Spent much of Sunday soaked to the skin again. The rain stopped just before hypothermia developed (too stubborn to take shelter in my tent, but I was on the verge of surrendering before the rain magically stopped).

Pine Creek Pass is easy. I was amused by the packer's efforts to shovel snow (haven't seen that since I lived in NJ). Karma smiled: it didn't help them -- they still weren't getting their mules over the snow near the top. There were 5 stream crossings above Honeymoon Lake, 4 of which can be avoided if you simply stay on the same side of the creek and x-country. A steep snowfield impeded entrance to the very last step of Upper Granite Basin. The smoke was killing my lungs on Monday night, so I didn't even try. Steep snowfields on the way up to Italy Pass. Technical expertise would have been required.
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic

Post by cgundersen »

marvinartist & quentin,
Having encountered wild, wild weather in both places (but not hailstones big enough to kill), I've also hit gorgeous patches that make return visits worthwhile. Hopefully, for m/a you got a bit of the sense of the panorama from above Moose.

Quentin, what's the deal with the Marmot precip? I nearly bought one in June (settled on a Patagonia, but I've not had a chance to test it out yet). I take it that it was a disaster. Were you able to trade it in or get a refund?

cg
mattherrington
Topix Acquainted

Re: North Lake to Upper Granite Basin 7/30 - 8/3

Post by mattherrington »

quentinc wrote: The hail on Saturday was so hard I began to wonder if anyone had ever been pummeled to death by hail before. But the person I want to kill is whoever designed the Marmot Precip -- I was soaked to the skin within 20 minutes.
Double crap. A Precip is my new (untested) piece of breathable outerware. Think seams are the problem or the material in general? Might give it a little Nikwax love..
quentinc
Topix Expert

Post by quentinc »

CG -- The Precip has gotten rave reviews, both on general sites like Amazon and here, but I've also noticed some saying it didn't hold up at all in heavy rain. I've had mine for a while, but have only needed it in light rain before this trip. I guess I can try returning it, but it may be difficult having owned it for close to a year. Makes me think of that Rod Stewart song -- An Old Raincoat Won't Let You Down. But the Precip sure will.

Matt -- just noticed you post. I was hoping it was just a seam or an unzipped pocket/pit zip, but the wetness seemed to seep in from all over, including the back where there are no seams or zips.
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic

Post by cgundersen »

quentin,
I'd expect Marmot to back up their products even if the item's pushing a year old. I've had good luck with the few Marmot goodies I own and would have been similarly upset. My lightweight REI rain shell worked fine for 2 years and then just bailed, but that's less of a surprise....it looks like my next outing is going to be dry, so the Patagonia may not get wet this year. Maybe I'll look for a waterfall?
cg
norak
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by norak »

Hoover Wilderness, Aug. 4-8. Virginia Lakes TH to Summit Lake, day hike from Summit Lake to Return Lake in Yosemite, Summit Lake to West Lake, West Lake to East Lake, hike out. Trails are all clear with just a few little snow patches left, but lots left on the slopes, making the scenery even more beautiful and dramatic. Streams not a problem (only had to wade once, just below the Hoover Lakes, but only mid calf deep). Wild flowers are unbelievable - including masses of columbines growing out of talus slopes! Best of all, hardly any mosquitoes! None at all at Summit Lake, a few at West and East lakes but pretty anemic and probably completely gone in a few days. I don't think I've ever seen the Sierra as beautiful as this year in more than 10 years of camping and backpacking.
http://noraakino.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
croupier
Topix Novice

Post by croupier »

Anybody have an update on the mosquito flat -> mono pass -> pioneer basin trail? I'll be going there this weekend.
steelfrog
Topix Newbie

Post by steelfrog »

Questions--we are doing the North to South Lakes loop (Evo Valley) loop in a few days. Anyone have info on:

1. How high are the crossings?

2. How much snow/ice up by Muir Pass?

3. Fishing report: Which lakes should we target to catch dinner?

Many thanks!
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic

Post by cgundersen »

steelfrog,
kpeter has a very thorough report a bit down the posting queue and silverfox before that; interesting contrasts!
cg