First time backpacking solo?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: First time backpacking solo?

Post by rlown »

So, I'll hazard a guess here and say most who find this site aren't so dumb as to believe what a device is telling them completely. Most here actually can think if they already got here..
ChinMusic
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by ChinMusic »

mp88 wrote: Finally, on the third morning there was a guy there with a Magellan GPS and he lead us out there no problem, we just followed the red line on the screen and within two hours we were back on the trail, amazing.
Funny that, huh? :wink:

To each his own. I embrace the technology. I have yet to be eaten by a shark due a rogue point. I know a rogue point when I see one. My GPS ain't even considered modern, as it is a 2004 model.

If I ever lose a trail in bad weather/dark/tree cover/etc. I KNOW I can find the trail quickly and easily. That map may help with starting a fire.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

That would be my guess as well, but I'm frequently wrong in my assumptions about what people will or won't do... perfectly rational-seeming people have surprised me many times.

Do what you will - we'll still come looking for you, just like everyone else.
ChinMusic
Topix Acquainted

Post by ChinMusic »

AlmostThere wrote:Do what you will - we'll still come looking for you, just like everyone else.
And with my cell/sat phone I will be able to tell you where I am within 20 feet. You'll be able to be back home for the big game.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

ChinMusic wrote:
mp88 wrote: Finally, on the third morning there was a guy there with a Magellan GPS and he lead us out there no problem, we just followed the red line on the screen and within two hours we were back on the trail, amazing.
Funny that, huh? :wink:

To each his own. I embrace the technology. I have yet to be eaten by a shark due a rogue point. I know a rogue point when I see one. My GPS ain't even considered modern, as it is a 2004 model.

If I ever lose a trail in bad weather/dark/tree cover/etc. I KNOW I can find the trail quickly and easily. That map may help with starting a fire.
Umm.. don't burn your map.. that maybe all you have to get out.

So, I have 3 with me on most trips.. I print out a map for each, so I dont have to hear the "where are we" crap. The GPS is the go to backup in good or bad weather.

I know where I am because I plan, look at the map and even fly the thing from Google Earth and look at things from different angles.

You have to know where you are.

mp88's comments were on spot.. can't just hike around until you think you reacquire the trail..
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

ChinMusic wrote:
AlmostThere wrote:Do what you will - we'll still come looking for you, just like everyone else.
And with my cell/sat phone I will be able to tell you where I am within 20 feet. You'll be able to be back home for the big game.
Not likely. Bad assumptions breed big mistakes, and betting on electronics to always be right is a bad assumption. As long as it's guiding you true, we won't need to be there. When it subtly sends you off course and something unexpected happens, or when the sat phone drowns or fails, or the gps dies a painful death in the granite, or you accidentally pack dead batteries.... Well, don't burn the map yet.

Also, we don't get out there that fast either. The game will be over by the time the helo picks up the team two people at a time.... If it can fly. We'll be backpacking two days home if it can't.... Happened before, it'll happen again.
ChinMusic
Topix Acquainted

Post by ChinMusic »

AlmostThere wrote: Not likely. Bad assumptions breed big mistakes, and betting on electronics to always be right is a bad assumption. As long as it's guiding you true, we won't need to be there.
If I am lying there with a broken leg, I darn well want GPS with me so I can tell you exactly where I am. Just take my coordinates and make an "X" on your map........... :D
TRAUMAhead
Topix Acquainted

Post by TRAUMAhead »

Looks like I opened a can of worms. :-k So other than being proficient at using a map and compass, anything else for going solo, lol? And any recommendations on compasses?

And bringing the cellphone is a nice multitool at 5.4oz, though I agree with less electronics in the outdoors. It's my watch, alarm, gps, any book I want with the Kindle app, knot guide, and more. Majority of the time I use it as a watch, especially tossing and turning at night. For some reason, I have to check what time it is.
“The word adventure has gotten overused. For me, when everything goes wrong - that’s when adventure starts.” - Yvon Chouinard
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

ChinMusic wrote:
AlmostThere wrote: Not likely. Bad assumptions breed big mistakes, and betting on electronics to always be right is a bad assumption. As long as it's guiding you true, we won't need to be there.
If I am lying there with a broken leg, I darn well want GPS with me so I can tell you exactly where I am. Just take my coordinates and make an "X" on your map........... :D
Don't forget to tell us what datum you're using.

If the phone still works.

One mistake tends to lead to a whole bunch of others that seemed good at the time... no telling whether you will be able to do anything you're so confident you'll do. Especially if you are dehydrated out of your mind and left the pack on a rock 2 miles ago.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

No, Traumahead, bad assumptions open cans of worms. You just wanted some suggestions. :nod:

My phone goes too - bad light packer, no biscuit - because it does a number of things for me - it's got a few gig of mp3s in it, it's my backup camera, and it's my alarm/watch. But it's a pitiful tiny screen and no gps app for it, not that I would use it for that if it did. And if I end up walking out on a different trailhead and hitching a ride, once I get back to a tower I can call a buddy. Most of the payphones around the trailheads I frequent have been torn out.

I have gone solo. I think the hardest part for me was camp. I'm so used to operating in a team or group I have to get used to my own company all over again. Maybe I should get a knot guide too so I can keep up with my climbing knots.