TR: South Lake to North Lake to South Lake complete loop

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
kpeter
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: TR: South Lake to North Lake to South Lake complete loop

Post by kpeter »

Turtleggjp, I did not take a picture of Black Giant per se, but I do have one shot looking back in that general direction from close to Helen Lake. Not sure if it will help you but here it is:
IMGP2175.jpg
Rockyroad, most people right now did not use microspikes and did just fine--I was the oddball. They are easy to put on and take off (unlike crampons) but even so it gets to be a pain when you are alternating a lot between snow and rock. I probably would not bother in 10 days.

A lot would depend on when you are hiking. If you are hiking when the snow is very soft--from late morning on--then they would not do you much good anyway. If you are hiking when the snow is very hard--early morning--then I wouldn't walk without them. But in 10 days the amount of snow involved will be dramatically diminshed.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Thank you Kpeter for taking the time for writing up this in depth TR, and posting
marvelous photo's.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
kpeter
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by kpeter »

Thank you Maverick, that is very polite for a photographer of your caliber to say something nice about my amateurish efforts. I have fun with it.
EasternSierra
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Post by EasternSierra »

Awesome trip report! We are doing this trip in early September. I'm hoping the passes will have less snow then!
orbweaver
Topix Novice

Post by orbweaver »

This is a really great trip report, especially with hints on stream crossings. I went over Piute Pass in 2005, much like you did KPeter, but I haven't done the whole loop. So, next week, 8/10/2011, I'm starting from North Lake Campground. I'm 68 and I figure this is the last time I'm going to have the energy to do this long a High Sierra trip. I'll try to get a trip report together when I get home.

Tom
Timberline
Topix Regular

Post by Timberline »

Splendid TR, kpeter, and wonderful pix to boot! Reading it was like reliving my own loop trip many years ago. I've always felt this route is one of the best extended hikes the Sierra has to offer. Thanks for contributing your personal account of it. =D>
Let 'er Buck! Back in Oregon again!
windknot
Topix Fanatic

Post by windknot »

Great photos and a wonderfully engaging report, I felt like I was along with you on the journey. Those last steps up to the South Lake trailhead parking lot certainly do feel a little mocking. :)
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic

Post by LMBSGV »

Thank you for posting your report and wonderful photos. As windknot said, I felt I was with you on your journey.
I don’t need a goal destination. I need a destination that meets my goals.

http://laurencebrauer.com
frediver
Topix Regular

Post by frediver »

Great post, thanks.
I am considering either a N/S loop or Lamarck Col-S. lake loop in mid Sept.
just before my 60th. The weather conditions have really thrown a wrench into
plans this year, I hope winter snows do not start early. Whacha think???
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Kpeter

Great TR! I have 3 due but don't even have time to read all of the TRs let alone write mine! Glad someone is on the ball!

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!