Patagonia Drifter Goretex Shoes Review

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Patagonia Drifter Goretex Shoes Review

Post by maverick »

Have been testing these shoes for about 2-3 months, before the recent review by
Backpacking Magazine.
Haven't had much luck with their picks, but a little better luck with Outside Magazine's
picks.
Anyways, these shoes fit close to size, but you should add 1/2 a size to what your true
size is.
These are low top hiking shoes, not boots, or 3/4 boots, so if you have weak ankles, they
are not for you.
With that said, they are very stable, on and off trail.
There comfort level are outstanding, even on very long hikes, and even in hot
climates.
They were put through the ultimate Sierra treadmill test, Taboose Pass, and passed
with flying colors.
Feet felt good, not hot spots, no leaks (rain, snow).
Traction was again outstanding, preformed well on steep smooth rock, wet moss, and
snow.
Only small thing that I would wish is that the tongue was a little longer, but this is
really reaching to find something.
Have been testing trail runners/hiking shoes for years, allways on the quest to find
the ultimate shoe.
Used to wear Montrail Hardrock's for a while until they changed the style 2 years ago
then a shoe from La Sportiva, which were pretty good, but got discontinued.
These shoes really are good, and would highly recommend them if your in the market
some!!
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Re: Patagonia Drifter Goretex Shoes Review

Post by markskor »

RE: Goretex Drifters - Nice to see that you can get by on low-top Trail Hikers. Impressed that they worked so well considering all the camera gear/weight you carry along.
Tried a few Trail Hiker types last year and wound up rolling ankles - sigh - back to boots for this kid. On a similar topic though, this year sported the new LOWA Renegade GTX boots - light and amazingly water-tight, especially with all the standing water/ river crossings/ snow encountered. Only did 140 miles or so, 38 pounds carried to start, super comfy and nary a hot spot or blister seen.
Mountainman who swims with trout
quentinc
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by quentinc »

I've actually found that my ankles and feet have been happier since I switched to trail runners. The main reason I switched is I can no longer find boots that accommodate my splayed toes, but it's worked out well all around.

And I wish I'd waited to read your review Mav -- I ordered a pair and just had to send them back to get a 1/2 size larger. I've been getting used to my non-waterproof Gore-tex Vasque Blurs, though. They sort of go nicely with my non-waterproof Marmot Precip jacket.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Use a pancho Q, haven't had any issue in years with it, and combined with a
goretex rain pants, have endured some pretty wet storms.

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

quentinc-- I also have the toe splay thing and Morton's neuroma on my left foot. I found Merrell shoes the only ones I can wear that are wide enough in the forefoot and still tight enough on my heel. Merrell outlet stores are having a great sale right now. I picked up two pair low cut shoes at half price yesterday! My husband who also has toe-splay likes Keens- but he has an overall husky foot. My heels slip out of Keens. I really wish I could wear Keens because they look so comfortable. Vasques are too narrow for my toes.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi WD

Check out these shoes, supposedly Merrell makes the shoes for Patagonia, so they
may work for your feet too.
They really are very good, if they fit your feet.

quentinc
Topix Expert

Post by quentinc »

Thanks WD. Our feet must be related -- I also have a neuroma on my left foot!

I may look at Merrell for regular boots -- I'm hoping these Drifters will be the ticket for now. I've used Keene Targhees in the recent past. They were as comfortable as bedroom slippers and about as durable too. I went through them in about 2 months per pair (when I find a boot that's comfortable, I buy them in bulk!).