Bench Lake 7/29/11

Topics covering photography and videography of the flora, fauna and landscape of the Sierra Nevada mountains. Show off your talent. Post your photos and videos here!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Bench Lake 7/29/11

Post by maverick »

For 2 years now, I have had a vision in my head of capturing this lake in is most
ultimate raw beauty.
This would require dramatic weather, which the monsoonal flow from this past
weekend could provide, then finding the right spot that would provide me the right
lighting to bring the whole picture together was required.
Also finding the shoreline that could lead ones eye to Arrow Peak was paramount in
my vision.
After lucking out with a gorgeous/dramatic sunset the night of my arriving to Bench
Lake (will post later), my mind quickly went into sunrise mode, and the hunt was on
to find a location that was construed in my mind, did such a location exist, or was
this place just a pure fantasy?
Got up at the usual 5 am, and went to the location that had looked like it would be
the spot that this event would take place.
Set up near the end of one of the coves with Arrow Peak still untouched by the
warmth of the morning light, which would probably happen in an hour or so.
Clouds where building in the sky signaling that another round of thunderstorms
would be bringing me more treats at sunset.
There was no wind, the water was dead calm, and as the time neared my
anticipation for what my vision had been for all these year suddenly was
opening up before my very eyes, touching my inner soul, not only as a wilderness
photographer, but as a lover of these beautiful Sierra!
When the sun kissed Arrow Peak, and it's warmth enveloped it, the time had come
to hit the shutter.
Before you look at this picture, please turn off any unnecessary lights near your
monitor so it does not mess with the delight you are about to witness.
When I say witness, I really mean on a spiritual level, because it really touches your
soul, truly.
After you have made yourself comfortable, turned off any lights near you, close you
eyes, relax.
Then hit the link, and allow yourself to become one with the photo, and let it draw
you in, it will really give you that first nature experience feeling that one has when
they witness something mesmerizingly beautiful for the first time, and then you know
at that moment, that you are hooked for life.
All of us have had this experienced one way or another when it comes to the Sierra.

http://WildernessApertures.com/img/v33/p410365265-6.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
gary c.
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Re: Bench Lake 7/29/11

Post by gary c. »

Simply Beautiful maverick!!

Thank you for sharring it with us.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Nice! quick work! I remember that place.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
TahoeJeff
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by TahoeJeff »

That in an incredible photo!
"A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both."

Milton Friedman
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Founding Member & Forums Administrator

Post by copeg »

Nice! Always wanted to visit Bench Lake. Looking forward to seeing more of your photos from the area
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic

Post by cgundersen »

Hey Maverick,
I always was a bit skeptical of the lighting displayed in the paintings done by some of the West's early artists (Bierstadt, Moran, etc). But, then you get some of the breathtaking displays that occasionally unfold in the Sierra, and you begin to understand. Clearly, you timed this one perfectly! And, I presume that this was the morning after you "jogged" up the Taboose trail and then cooled down on the stretch to Bench. Most mortals would still be comatose, but you're out capturing spectacular photos. Wow!
cg
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Thanks Gary, OR, TJ, Copeg, and CGundersen for looking, and the comments.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
benca98
Topix Novice

Post by benca98 »

Wow Very Nice....
mpeters
Topix Acquainted

Post by mpeters »

Now that is a great capture! Any chance you can share the details... ss, ap, focal length?