Campgrounds off the 120

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Blk04SR
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Campgrounds off the 120

Post by Blk04SR »

I know its peak season to head up to go camp up there and was seeing how it was like right now for picking up a camping site along the 120 at Junction, Tioga, Ellery, and Saddlebag? I will be going up early Wednesday morning in a few weeks mid August. My guess is that I will have a decent chance at getting a camp site where I want to be.

All of the camp sites are no reservation and first come first serve off the 120 in Inyo County.

Whatcha all think?
EastSideClimb
Topix Acquainted

Re: Campgrounds off the 120

Post by EastSideClimb »

Bring Deet and a head net. The mosquitos are worst I've ever experienced at Saddlebag.
Blk04SR
Topix Newbie

Post by Blk04SR »

Got both I should be good. Just hope to get a spot at the campground I want :paranoid:
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

the best campsite at Saddlebag is across the lake. You load your stuff on the ferry and you'll pretty much be alone. I think a wilderness permit is required and no fires, but what a place, and very few people.

My pre-night stay when i go into Yose is at Tioga, but at 17 buxx/night, i'd prefer the permit and the freedom of Saddlebag. Ferry is optional.. there is a trail around Saddlebag, if you're into carrying your stuff in. about 2 miles.
Blk04SR
Topix Newbie

Post by Blk04SR »

Yeah I was looking at that and will get that as a last resort. I will stop off at the ranger station before hand.