Old Army Pass August 8th

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
mschnaidt
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Old Army Pass August 8th

Post by mschnaidt »

Jim,

Here are some recent photos of Old Army Pass. They were taken on July 26th and 27th. The snowbank at the top is still pretty dicey. Since I didn't have crampons or an axe, I chose to take New Army Pass instead. However, I would imagine that by the 9th it should melt out pretty well. Make the call when you get there and have eyes on it.

New Army still has a cornice at the top and requires some brief, easy snow crossings and an easy scamble up a cairned chute.

I summited Langley on the 26th. If you can, bring a new notebook for the summit log. There are a few in the box and they are all full! A new pen would be good too.

I took the chute down to Upper Soldier. The route is steep but there is a pretty good use trail most of the way.

To get into the Miter Basin I followed Lower Soldier's inlet stream. It's steep and wet but it will put you right into the basin without much trouble.

Sorry the photos are out of order...

Have a great trip,

Michael
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

Thanks Michael,
Definitely worth checking out. What size notebook? The sky looks clear, how was it in Miter Basin?
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
mschnaidt
Topix Regular

Post by mschnaidt »

Hey Jim,

A 5x8 notebook would work fine.

The smoke in Miter Basin varied by day. It was always clear in the morning and the smoke rolled in from the South in the afternoon. When I left the area on Saturday the smoke was much reduced.

Have a great trip,

Michael