Lion Fire impact on southern Sierra?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
frediver
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: Lion Fire impact on southern Sierra?

Post by frediver »

Is there map overlay for the fire?
DoyleWDonehoo
Founding Member

Post by DoyleWDonehoo »

frediver wrote:Is there map overlay for the fire?
There is this:
http://inciweb.org/incident/2400/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I hope this becomes wrapped up soon. Lots of peoples livelihoods become impacted as tourists and back-county visitors avoid the area. Note the closures.
Doyle W. Donehoo
Sierra Trails:
http://www.doylewdonehoo.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic

Post by cgundersen »

Ron,
Given that smoke was obscuring Mammoth webcams today, I think you'd be best off going as far North as possible. In 2 weeks, I was going to go North from Cedar Grove (rather than South), but if the smoke keeps percolating all the way to Mammoth, I may aim for Yosemite. That said, there are great trips you can take between Tuolomne and Mammoth (Agnew Meadows/Devils Postpile), and prior threads on this site can elaborate in detail.

frediver: the Inciweb site has lots of maps and indications of what has burned
sli
Topix Novice

Post by sli »

MODIS Today (Sat Image) shows significant increase in smoke over yesterday:
http://ge.ssec.wisc.edu/modis-today/ind ... ution=250m" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mike McGuire
Founding Member

Post by Mike McGuire »

Just checked the incident web site. It had been updated just 3 minutes ago. Fire is now 15% contained, up from 5% yesterday. Looks like they are getting a handle on it.

Mike
MADgenius
Topix Novice

Post by MADgenius »

Here are a few snaps taken ~10 days ago looking towards the Lion Fire and its associated smoke plume. These shots were taken from the PCT, roughly midway between Olancha and Mulkey/Trail Passes around mid-day.

Although dated - the Lion Fire is five times as large now - perhaps these photos may help folks anticipate how, during typical wind conditions, the topography of the region (esp'ly the Kern Trench) tends to funnel and spread smoke.

Looking towards Mineral King.

Looking towards Kaweah Peaks.

Looking towards Whitney Region.

Also below is an alternative link to MODIS imagery (click on True Color link for high resolution; you may need to scroll back a day for a valid image).

http://activefiremaps.fs.fed.us/imagery ... -south-000

Alas, webcams portray a situation that has only gotten worse day-by-day. Just spoke with a ranger at the NPS Wilderness Office who not unexpectedly suggested a wait and see approach (my trip on the HST is still a week away).

Best of luck to all!
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic

Post by cgundersen »

Those photos pretty much tell the story; based on webcams, the smoke is making it a long way up the Sierra crest and I'd guess more TRs will be commenting on the (largely, negative) impact.
cg
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Post by gary c. »

We were above Edison Lake the last few days and in the afternoon the smoke moved into the canyons just enough to cause a slight haze and smoke smell but not bad.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Just returned home after trip to Tunemah/Blue canyon. On July 20 saw small amount of smoke behind Great western divide and Silliman Crest. Each of the following days the amount of smoke grew and by the 27th Monarch Divide became obliterated by smoke. As I worked my way out to my car smoke worked its way up Blue Canyon and Crown Valley. Heading out my last day (july 29) smoke was gone but I was chased by a big billowing thunderheads. (TR to come sometime in the future: have to close on a house my wife bought while I was out playing, have to take older grandkids on at least an overnighter this week, then take them home to Bellingham, shuttle my son back to Seattle, go home for a few days then Fly up to Alaska to quickly drive back with my son to the lower 48, then a quick trip to Boise then another trip with son to the Humbolt Bay Air Station where he has just been transferred to only to then head S. to Leavitt Meadows where I will begin an 8-10 day trip to Hetch Hetchy. Retirement is not for sissies!)

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!