Donkey Packing

All discussion related to transportation to, from and within the Sierra Nevada. Need directions or flight information? Info on road conditions? A ride to the trail head? Can you offer a ride, or do you run a transportation business or shuttle service for the Sierra Nevada? Come on in and post the details!
joaniewilliams
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Donkey Packing

Post by joaniewilliams »

I am ready to train my young donkey to pack for my husband and I so we can more easily hike in the Sierras. Are there any restrictions to taking a donkey on the hiking trails that I see on the maps? Are there areas where they are or are not allowed? Very new at this but very excited to get started! Joanie
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Donkey Packing

Post by rlown »

Hi joanie, welcome to the HST.

There are stock restrictions on some trails.. Depending on where you plan to go, call the permit station to find out. You also have to know how to correctly keep your donkey staked out for the night, so as not to harm meadows, trees, etc.

Your donkey should also be prepped for water crossings. I know some horses hate water, or strange objects they haven't seen before. I'd practice on some near, short destinations before you think your donkey is gonna pack any distance for you. You also need to get it used to carrying the pack.. you can do that at home.

Good luck.