Trying to figure out travel logistics - eastern Sierra

All discussion related to transportation to, from and within the Sierra Nevada. Need directions or flight information? Info on road conditions? A ride to the trail head? Can you offer a ride, or do you run a transportation business or shuttle service for the Sierra Nevada? Come on in and post the details!
arundodonax
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Trying to figure out travel logistics - eastern Sierra

Post by arundodonax »

Hi all, this website is great!

I'm trying to figure out travel logistics for an upcoming Sierra trip. I'm hoping someone can help me figure out if my plan will work. :)

I'm hoping to be at the Onion Valley trailhead by mid afternoon on 8/5, and eventually make my way up to Reds Meadow, then hike back to my car.

So far, I've been thinking about hitching from Onion Valley to Independence, taking CREST to Mammoth, and then taking the Reds shuttle. The problem is getting from OV to Independence to make the 6:30AM Saturday morning 8/6 bus. I could try to get down to Independence the night before, but I'd rather not pay for a hotel, and I hear it's harder to hitch in the late afternoon hours.

Any ideas? Will I have to wait until Monday until the busses run more often? My other option would be to park in Mammoth, and do the shuttle at the end, but I'd rather have my car when I'm done. Is the OV TH safe to park for 10 days? Or maybe there is another idea that I'm missing?

Edit: Oh, and I'm dead set on traveling south. :rolleyes:

Thanks!

CM
markskor
Founding Member - RIP
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Trying to figure out travel logistics - eastern Sierra

Post by markskor »

Try a sign!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mountainman who swims with trout
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

It has been a few years, but I have found relatively cheap motels in Independence. Also, according to the map, there are several campgrounds close to Independence. If you get a ride to Independence from Onion Valley, chances are that person's destination is not Indepencence. Perhaps you can get a ride all the way to Mammoth where there is a USFS campground right in town! I do not know why anyone would be driving from Onion Valley to Independence at 5AM! More likley, someone will be coming out of the mountains and drive down in the afternoon. If you get a ride how about just offering that person money to take you to Mammoth. When you add up bus and motel costs, you could pay someone enough to make it worth their while, especially if they were headed north anyway.
ManOfTooManySports
Topix Regular

Post by ManOfTooManySports »

There are some bare bones campgrounds near Independence. I think they are city or county run. I've only driven by them, and they never appear full.