Mountain lion killed. Lake Almanor

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
dave54
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Mountain lion killed. Lake Almanor

Post by dave54 »

A mountain lion was shot and killed last week by Plumas County Sheriff. This lion was inside the Lake Almanor Country Club and was observed by several witnesses stalking people walking their dogs. F&G was called, but they were unable to send anyone to trap or otherwise handle the lion. With permission of F&G, a deputy shot the lion.

Sad. This is a populated area with many families and kids in the resort area. Regrettable, but in this situation unavoidable.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
AldeFarte
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by AldeFarte »

I agree. We need to tack a few thousand more on the wall to make it safe around there. Ditto bears. jls ;)
dave54
Founding Member

Post by dave54 »

AldeFarte wrote:I agree. We need to tack a few thousand more on the wall to make it safe around there. Ditto bears. jls ;)
I enjoy seeing mtn lions out in the backcountry. I have no problems with them away from people. This one was a threat to people and no realistic alternative was available. The problem is compounded by a handful of year around residents who continue to feed the deer despite numerous admonitions by every agency to stop doing that. Threats of citations are not curbing the practice. With the year around availability of feed the deer are not migrating in Winter, so there is an unnaturally large number of deer in the Country Club. The mountain lion was just hanging out at the buffet. Another one will likely move in.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
hikerduane
Founding Member

Post by hikerduane »

I was going to mention the people up there feeding deer, but I see you know. My thought also, attract deer, the hunter will come too.

One of my neighbors keeps putting food out for raccoons and the birds. Fox come around too. A few years ago, their dog was at the door, trying to get out, so when they opened it, the dog bolted outside and right back in, in a few seconds. There was a skunk outside, it sprayed there dog and when it came back in, it shook itself and they had stink all over. I thought it was funny. They had to move all the stuff out, pull the carpeting, paint the walls etc. Insurance covered it all. What a shame. They still feed the poor animals.
Piece of cake.