Wolverton to Hamilton Lake

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: Wolverton to Hamilton Lake

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I think it depends on your condition, if you are acclimated, and the weight of your pack. I did my 4-day trip with a 21 pound pack- no tent, just a bivy and walked out last day without any trail food. It does seem like a lot on paper, but I really did not find it that bad. I did not start out planning to get all the way, just kept on truckin' and got there in 9 hours. It is not at high elevation, and the trail is very good. I was 50+ in age when I did it and I do NOT have long legs! I agree, not Day 1 if this is your first trip of the season! But for an experienced hiker, going light, it certainly is do-able. To me, getting to Hamilton Lake is worth it, just to camp at that awesome spot. His second day is short, so sleep in and you do not need tons of energy just to get up to Precipice Lake. I personally would rather push the first day. To each his own. On the other hand, some people do not care much about views from camp and just going by Hamilton Lake on the way to Precipice is fine for them. At any rate, start early, go down the trail, if you get to Hamilton Lake, great, otherwise stop short and you still have plenty of time to get to Precipice Lake on a day-hike. PS- I absolutely hate the camp at Bearpaw-- much better to camp on Buck Creek or on Lone Pine Creek.

Also, there are several bear boxes along the way and at Hamilton Lake and at the lake. I did not carry a bear cannister. Not sure the rangers allow you to go without a cannister anymore.
DoyleWDonehoo
Founding Member

Post by DoyleWDonehoo »

Some good advice here from some very experienced people.
I have done this trail numerous times for various reasons and destinations: Most of the time coming back down that trail from elsewhere. I have gone from Tamarack Lake to Crescent Meadow in a day several times, and from Hamilton Lakes to Crescent Meadow in a day a time or two as well, and it was no big deal at the time. Then again by then I had been on the trail for more than a week, my pack was lighter, and I was stronger than when I started, so piece of cake. And every time going back I was glad I did not have to hike back up that hill to Wolverton. But I also have started from Crescent Meadow and got to Bearpaw with my then 50 pound pack and was tired and thinking, "Boy, I sure would like to stop here, but camping here sucks" (as I found out the one time I did camp there).

Since Sluggo says he is a level 2 and it is a first day hike and maybe the first of the season for him/them, I suggest, sure go for it, but if he is tired by the time he (or his group) gets near the Bearpaw area, take advantage of the excellent camps suggested in this thread, next day get up early and bomb up to Hamilton Lakes where they will probably have all kinds of time to do a day-hike. Getting back will be a doable slog, and if they start at Crescent Meadow, that would be easier in my opinion.
Doyle W. Donehoo
Sierra Trails:
http://www.doylewdonehoo.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

To the junction where each route meets, it is 5.6 miles from Crescent Meadow and 3.7 miles from Wolverton and each route has about 1,800 (from Woverton) to 2,000 (from Crescent Meadow) feet gain. The route from Crescent does avoid the one shot uphill on the return and you get nice views of Castle Rocks but you have to wade more streams. The view from Panther Gap is pretty nice too, but you do not get up close look at Castle Rocks (very impressive). Crescent Meadow is at 6,710 feet and Wolverton is at 7,280. Returning, you go up 1,500 feet to get back to Wolverton, and 1,080 to get back to Crescent Meadow. Having done both, I really think it is a toss up. Some people get the "feel" of being easier from Crescent Meadow because the ups are shorter. Having primarily done mountaineering, I psychologically prefer one shot up and one shot downs rather than tourture of a hundred little ups and downs. Bottom line is that I doubt it would matter much which trailhead you choose. The time is about the same and no matter how you cut it, it is a rigorous trek to Hamilton Lake. I think you could get in a bit faster from Wolverton. I did the route from Crescent Meadow in early season, and all the wading ate up a lot of time. Later, you may not even have to wade. The 500 feet saved going out to Crescent Meadow is about a toss up for the 1.9 miles extra distance. Since you said you are level 2 and in good shape, I took that to mean that physically rigorous is not the problem but you do not want to get into cross country travel or difficult map reading or other technical difficulties. The trail is a highway.
sluggo
Topix Novice

Post by sluggo »

Thanks for all the helpful replies,

I originally wanted to get to hamilton the first day so I could set up camp once for both nights, enjoy a leisurely day two with a short day hike and maybe some fishing, and return home the third day. This lion fire is definitely of concern however. Southern seki looks like a war zone now :( if it doesn't clear up, I may look for a trip further north.

Thanks again!