Food

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
xshift28x
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Food

Post by xshift28x »

I've looked into a lot of the freeze-dried food (mountain house) but I was wondering if there is anything wrong with taking some oatmeal packets, a couple cans of soup and some MRE's for lunch. I am only going on a 4 day-3 night trip and don't mind carrying 3 cans of campbell's soup for dinner instead of the $8 freeze dried stuff.
87TT
Topix Regular

Re: Food

Post by 87TT »

Sounds like you will need a wagon to haul it all or a pack mule. There are lots of cheaper ways to eat and lighter. Example= top ramen instead of canned soup.
xshift28x
Topix Acquainted

Post by xshift28x »

I hadn't thought of the ramen
87TT
Topix Regular

Post by 87TT »

Check out trailcooking.com or the food thread on this board. Personally I can't eat MRE's :puke:
Carne_DelMuerto
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Carne_DelMuerto »

Oatmeal is good, but don't bring cans of anything. There are plenty of lighter options. You can get miso soup packets, dehydrated beans and soups, and other similar items at your local grocery or health food store. There are plenty of options packaged in paper and plastic. You've got to remember that not only are cans heavy to pack in, you have to pack out that bulky trash.

If you do decide to get a couple of the Mountain House meals, I recommend the Buffalo Chicken (bring tortillas too). It is nice and spicy.
Wonder is rock and water and the life that lives in-between.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

BLEAH, I hate freeze dried. Along with soup packets, I like to bring the foil packaged chicken to add to soups and ramen. If you go with ramen, get Top Ramen. They're a bit more expensive than Maruchen, but they're pretty good eaten dry and crunchy on the trail. Then you can save the flavor packet for the soup along with the chicken chunks.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
Carne_DelMuerto
Topix Expert

Post by Carne_DelMuerto »

I found this just before my last trip and brought a few to try out: http://www.starkist.com/product/ready-m ... hunk-light" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

We put it on a tortilla and added some hot sauce. Nice tasty protien source. :D
Wonder is rock and water and the life that lives in-between.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Carne_DelMuerto wrote:I found this just before my last trip and brought a few to try out: http://www.starkist.com/product/ready-m ... hunk-light" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's pretty funny.. Mountain House used to make dehydrated tuna and chicken salad, which I found quite tasty on crackers or whatever. A great lunch item.

I'll have to try the starkist now.. I love the new pouch-ready seafood stuff they're putting out.

Should probably move this to the backcountry food topix area..
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

Carne_DelMuerto wrote:I found this just before my last trip and brought a few to try out: http://www.starkist.com/product/ready-m ... hunk-light" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Carried a few of these myself...yummy mixed with those Knor chicken/ Stroganoff/ Rice dry packages. BTW, they are all available this year at the Tuolumne store for re-provision purposes.
Mountainman who swims with trout
87TT
Topix Regular

Post by 87TT »

We took a foil pack of salmon one time up at Cottonwood lakes and added it to some Lipton teriyaki noodles and both got sick :puke: Must have got a bad pack. Now if I want fish in something, I catch it.