Question about "base camping" in Sequioa NP.

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Question about "base camping" in Sequioa NP.

Post by maverick »

May be some in the forested, shaded area's.
It also say's Moose Lake is frozen so that means Tablelands may still have a lot of snow.
The report points to snow levels being at about 10000 ft.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
rallison
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Re: Watchtower snow conditions?

Post by rallison »

marvinartist wrote:Has anyone done the watchtower trail yet this year? Wonder how icy it is right now. The nps.gov website says its open but nothing about the ice and snow on it.
From Wolverton, I hiked both the Alta Peak Trail and the Lakes Trail to Pear Lake on 7/24 and the only real snow was on the last 1/2 mile of Alta Peak. The Lakes Trail to Pear Lake is basically 100% snow free. Nothing on the Lakes Trail to Watchtower, nothing on the Watchtower section, and only a couple of small drifts in a couple of the shaded sections around the lakes.

I *think* the rangers said there was still some snow beyond Pear Lake, but I don't really remember. Also, there is a large chunk of rock that is covering one part of the Watchtower stretch, but can easily be ducked under - basically the only obstacle on the Lakes Trail.
marvinartist
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Re: Question about "base camping" in Sequioa NP.

Post by marvinartist »

Rallison: Thanks for the update! I'm glad to hear the watchtower isn't icy. The pictures I've seen make it look pretty treacherous on the slippery stuff, having no crampons.

I'm as excited as I've ever been about anything to get out to the sierras and start exploring. I'll be sure to post a trip report when I get back. Nothing that would excite all you veterans, but I'm sure it will be super fun for me.