Let people know (where you're going)

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Let people know (where you're going)

Post by rlown »

AlmostThere wrote: It's interesting that most lakes are named after women and most mountains after men, with few exceptions.
Well the women, like lakes, are more productive. Men just stand there. :D
East Side Hiker
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by East Side Hiker »

Almost There - you're so right on. Someone needs to know where you are. But they have to certain that they feel there's a problem, otherwise there could be a "false" rescue.

I wonder how Rogue is doing?
orbweaver
Topix Novice

Post by orbweaver »

quentinc wrote:
bheiser1 wrote:[
What insurance does the SAR team charge? Health insurance? in the way an ambulance service would?
Good question -- I bet most health insurers would refuse to cover SAR.
Who does cover the cost of SAR? I know the rescuers volunteer their time (and deserve a Purple Heart for it!), but what about the helicopters, etc? I guess the NPS.

As someone who would make a bad "rescuee" (I change my mind on the fly too much to leave a meaningful detailed itinerary), I have to say I'd gladly pay if it were my life that was being saved. Who wouldn't?
I'm a member of the UK chapter of the Austrian Alpine Club (OeAV), which provides insurance with the membership fee. I forget the exact amount but the insurance covers not only helicopter rescue in Europe but rescue expenses up to something like 25,000 Euro - anywhere in the world, even while engaged in mountaineering etc.
dave54
Founding Member

Post by dave54 »

AlmostThere wrote:
...I guess someone's got to name 'em?..
The U.S. Board of Geographic Names (yes -- that's a real government entity!) has a process for getting place names recognized. They have a website that spells out how to submit a name and all the restrictions. They actually have a database containing profanities, obscenities, body parts, and other inappropriate words in other languages, and prospective names are checked against the list. A few odd historic names are still found on some maps, that were generally recognized as official names prior to the establishment of the naming procedures. Of course, blue noses are trying to get all those names changed, often over the objections of the locals.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
afisher99
Topix Newbie

Re: Let people know

Post by afisher99 »

AlmostThere wrote:
wildrose wrote:I just did a 4 days backpacking in Yosemite. When I got my permit, the ranger didn't ask my car's plate number and didn't ask how many cars we had for our group. So I don't think they can link the hikers with the cars parked in the park.
Yes, they can. It takes law enforcement 5 minutes to run a plate and know who owns the car. They'll also see whether the person is reported missing, if the car was reported stolen, or if there are any other alerts placed on it.

We've done that - noticed a car in a lot that looked abandoned and run the plates.
I'm definitely curious about SAR, but I thought of an issue for the car thing, especially for someone like me who lives out east and only gets to come to the Sierras 2x a year... rental cars. I know that (in theory), you could probably get the plate, recognize it is registered to Hertz or whatever, and ask Hertz who is renting the car that week. Issues with that: #1, as someone who travels extensively for work and uses different rental cars 3x week, dealing with customer service at those places (I'm assuming - hoping - law enforcement has different ways of finding things out at these companies) is Russian roulette - one time you get someone helpful, the next five, nothing. The second issue is that sometimes leaving messages in reference to certain vehicles with the rental car companies triggers 'an alert' - i.e. they report it possibly stolen. In South Carolina I had Hertz do this to me because there was a mix up with plates at the counter. Their philosophy is just to report it, and sort out the details later. Anyways, the police department in Greenville was really nice and helpful (got pulled over for a speeding ticket, and the plates were run), but it still took an hour on the phone with Hertz at the station to convince them to call the cops and tell them it wasn't stolen. They apologized and comped me 1/2 day's rental (whoop dee doo).

I'm assuming I'm not the only one with a rental car in there - how do you all deal with them?

Also, on the issue of the SPOT messenger - have you have a lot of screw ups by people? Interesting little blurb in an article about how dumb people are with those things (a group of four guys hit the 911 button THREE SEPARATE TIMES on the Royal Arch Loop in the Grand Canyon because "the water tasted too salty.")... just curious if the SAR's job got a little harder because of it.

Cheers and looking forward to the Rae Lakes at the end of August!
afisher99
Topix Newbie

Post by afisher99 »

quentinc wrote:
bheiser1 wrote:[
What insurance does the SAR team charge? Health insurance? in the way an ambulance service would?
Good question -- I bet most health insurers would refuse to cover SAR.
Who does cover the cost of SAR? I know the rescuers volunteer their time (and deserve a Purple Heart for it!), but what about the helicopters, etc? I guess the NPS.

As someone who would make a bad "rescuee" (I change my mind on the fly too much to leave a meaningful detailed itinerary), I have to say I'd gladly pay if it were my life that was being saved. Who wouldn't?
Insurance and SAR- speaking from the health insurance side of the equation (I know, evil thing I do for a living)... a lot of blue cross/blue shield programs treat it as an ER visit, with a caveat. They will pay for medicals procedures that would have been done if you were present in a hospital. Let's say you break a leg - the SAR comes and splints it and choppers you out to whatever hospital. The splint material and time of the SAR crew while working on it can be (and will be, if you argue enough) like an EMS visit to a home. HOWEVER, what isn't covered is any sort of transportation costs. If you break your leg at home, the ambulance ride is covered. In the wilderness, the helicopter ride will not be covered. So, if you get changed for the help (which it doesn't sound like SAR would), the chopper bill won't be picked up by BC/BS HMO type plan.

Just keep in mind that most insurance plans have riders that say "We aren't covering you for these activities," and then name a bunch of different dangerous (to them) activities. Hiking/camping are sometimes included in this, climbing certainly is. There are plans out there that will cover you for $7/day for the duration of your trip for the chopper ride if you are rescued... although I guess from the SAR guys all maintaining that they usually will not charge, it might be a waste of money.
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic

Post by Cross Country »

Does anyone know what Medicare covers in this area?
Sierra Ledge Rat
Topix Novice

Post by Sierra Ledge Rat »

In many states, a fishing licence comes with rescue insurance.

In other states you can buy rescue insurance alone without the fishing license.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

Cross Country wrote:Does anyone know what Medicare covers in this area?
Same thing every medical insurance covers - the medical services you receive, within the limits they have on your policy, whatever those are. A question for Medicare to answer, really.

In Fresno County that's a non-issue.
fishinxj
Topix Novice

Post by fishinxj »

Great post and info! On our first Scout Venture outing we went over the proper permit filing so the Forest Service knows our plan. Then we gave a handwritten note to each mother (time consuming) explaining our hike destination. Next trip we'll do this in advance but the point was to reinforce the importance. We Also hammered them on always having the buddy system.....nobody got away :unibrow:

One couple things an SAR friend taught me, top off the gas tank at the last gas stop in case of a Forest Fire or other disaster. You never know which route you'll have to drive out of. Plus leave your route under the wiper blades.

Thanks for the great forum!

shane