Current conditions for Crabtree Pass, New and Old Army Passe

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
mschnaidt
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Current conditions for Crabtree Pass, New and Old Army Passe

Post by mschnaidt »

I'm hiking from Horseshoe Meadows to Whitney and back via Miter Basin, Crabtree Pass and the slog up Discovery Pinnacle this coming week (7/25-8/1) and am looking for trail beta.

I've been scouring the boards and have found no information on current conditions between Sky Blue Lake and Upper Crabtree Lake. If anyone has taken this route recently It would be great to hear from you.

I have snow experience but am hoping to leave my crampons and axe in the car.

I also need to make the Army vs New Army decision so any new info would be greatly appreciated.

Look for my TR in early August.

Best,

M
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Re: Current conditions for Crabtree Pass, New and Old Army Passe

Post by maverick »

Check the "2011 Backcounrty Conditions Update" thread at the top.
There have been several trips to Miter Basin, one to New Army recently posted.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6282&start=105" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
mschnaidt
Topix Regular

Post by mschnaidt »

Thanks Maverick,

Those posts were the reason I was asking for more recent information. I would like to use Army pass to access Langley but am now second guessing that plan. This site is a great asset!

Many thanks,

M
bluefintu
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by bluefintu »

I'm also interested for the condition for the pass. We will be taking our ice axe for the desent for crabtree pass, I don't want to fall all the way down the pass. A few years ago, we came down Discovery Pinnacale, very loose, steep and don't fall kind of stuff. I think going up may stll have some snow/ice? So I would recommend taking the extra weight. Good luck and have a safe trip. My son and I are right behind you till the pass.

Don
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

I have to make the OAP vs NAP decision as well. I'm going up on the 8th of Aug. and leaning toward abandoning OAP all together, but it's still my first choice. No ice axe or crampons. My head has been mulling over possibilities, even the ludicrous. I entertained the idea of dropping the packs at lake 4 and 5, then spending the rest of the afternoon stomping trail for the next day. What a waste of energy when NAP is passable and the idea of breaking or improving trail doubtful at best.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
Mike M.
Topix Expert

Post by Mike M. »

Anybody have any recent photos of Crabtree Pass? I too am curious how much snow is left on the north side.

Mike
TahoeJeff
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by TahoeJeff »

BUMP
Does anyone have current info on how much snow is left on Old Army Pass?
"A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both."

Milton Friedman
SPeacock
Topix Regular

Post by SPeacock »

I would be VERY surprised that Old Army is not completely passable. At worse case you would have some very well stomped snow the last 100 feet or so along the traversing trail just before the pass. At most you would have to perhaps climb out of the path a few feet uphill to get away from deep foot prints.

I've been over it in similar deep snow winters (not that much in Langley area this year) in mid August and have had no problems...well, except for my usual early part of trail finding up from the lake.
TahoeJeff
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by TahoeJeff »

Thanks, SP!
"A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both."

Milton Friedman
SPeacock
Topix Regular

Post by SPeacock »

This is one of those typical should I, could I decisions you get to make when cross country in unfamiliar places. Its about 2hours to the pass from the lakes and if you can't do it, it is a couple of hours around to the start of New Army Pass. So you can use up a half day with a bad decision or just a curious try at something that if it works out gains you several hours. You'll still be down to water on the other side no matter which way you go if you leave early enough.

It still beats sitting around the house watching a 2 hour movie.