Onion Valley or Horseshoe Meadow

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
MountainGlory
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Re: Onion Valley or Horseshoe Meadow

Post by MountainGlory »

Mosquitoes perhaps along Gilbert and Flower Lakes. If you have the opportunity, head over to Matlock Lakes Basin too! (south across the log "bridge" at Flower Lake).
richlong8
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by richlong8 »

I have done Gould via Kearsage, then back down via Golden Trout Lake. It was a long dayhike for me. more of a talus-scree descent, nothing technical about it. It would be a lot easier to go back down the ridge to Kearsage, but you would miss the fishing at the lakes- if you had the energy!
ManOfTooManySports
Topix Regular

Post by ManOfTooManySports »

Just off Kearsarge on Saturday. No snow. Didn't see any on Gould. I don't have experience coming down from Golden Trout, but noted that the trail to that lake is now signed. The creek from the lake was flowing very heavily. You can maybe get up Gould, look over, and decide what to do. The views from Gould north toward the King Spur, southwest toward Brewer & co., and in all other directions would be great.

Or if you can do an out-and-back from Onion Valley all the way to the little ponds past Bullfrog before the descent to Vidette Meadows and make it back to the car before dark, that would be a long but memorable trip.
jgc
Topix Novice

Post by jgc »

Thanks for the extra replies, after I'd left. I did the hike on 8th August; up to Kearsage Pass and Mt Gould then along the ridge a way and back via Golden Trout Lake, in 5.5 hours, and indeed the scree slopes above this lake were not difficult, but there was not much trace of any trail below, not until the waterfall near the lower end. There was one snow bridge remaining along the creek.

Attached is a view towards the Rae Lakes, from the edge of the ridge north of Mt Gould.

John
rae-lakes.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
richlong8
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by richlong8 »

Thanks for posting that picture. I have long had plans to go off that ridge to Dragon Lake, which should be the lake at the far right center of your photo. I think the worst part would be the first 500 feet down from the "pass" on the ridge.
MountainGlory
Topix Novice

Post by MountainGlory »

Beautiful image! Can't believe the lakes are still not completely thawed - guess they might not this year!