SEKI NPS updates 7/19

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

SEKI NPS updates 7/19

Post by maverick »

Updates on LeConte Canyon/Dusy Basin/Palisade Creek, Mather Pass, Pinochet
Pass, Granite Creek, Copper Creek, Pear Lake, Lone Pine Creek/Tamarack
Lake/Elizabeth Pass areas.

http://www.nps.gov/seki/planyourvisit/trailcond.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
sparky
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: SEKI NPS updates 7/19

Post by sparky »

Hmm I was asked, and gave the ranger a pretty detailed report of conditions for sphinx creek, avalanche pass, and cloud canyon on July 4. I guess it went no further? Or they need to see it for themselves
kpeter
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: SEKI NPS updates 7/19

Post by kpeter »

The NPS report is also self-contradictory, I think, on the Dusy switchback crossing.

At the top it reads (as of time of this posting, 10am July 24)

"Dusy Switch Crossing: The water is knee high and the current is not strong"

and a little further down it reads

"The creek crossing on the Dusy switchback is still very difficult. It's thigh-deep, moving fast, & frothy white. It is recommended for advanced crossers ONLY. An alternate way to cross is upstream - rock-hopping and willow thrashing - very challenging."

Both these entries are dated July 19 but I think the second one is older. I don't remember the first "knee high" entry appearing until recently, so I hope it is a recent update. If so, it relieves my mind about one of the hazardous crossings I have been concerned with. Now, if only there were very recent intel. on the West Pinnacles Creek crossing on the Piute pass trail, I'd be a happy man.