High Water and Dogs

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
jessegooddog
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

High Water and Dogs

Post by jessegooddog »

A reminder for those of us who hike with our dogs - great swimmers they may be, but some crossings are still too iffy or downright dangerous. We turned back at the 2nd waterfall crossing in Lundy Canyon yesterday, a little too fast and deep with only 1 skinny slippery log close to the edge. BTY, lots of wildflowers and singing birds and no skeeters bothered us.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: High Water and Dogs

Post by rlown »

That happens even during hunting season during the central valley floods.. My friend sent his dog out near Sutter after a mallard.. It was 100 feet.. Dog didn't have a chance.. I ran downstream a called her back in.. She made it 40 feet out before being swept downstream 100 yds.. Ours are usually wrapped in floaty neoprene though..

Nice topic.
DriveFly44
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by DriveFly44 »

I consider laker to be one of the all-time great swimmers (yes, I'm a proud owner :D ). I've had 15 or so people tell me they've never seen a better dog in the water. That being said, we've been to 4 places this summer that have scared me to death and he would have little chance of survival if he got in the current. When we've been in these situations, I've kept him very close to me and often leashed. Even some of the smaller creeks have been treacherous this season. Thanks for the post and reminder.

Ladd
Carne_DelMuerto
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Carne_DelMuerto »

On our recent trip into Emigrant Wilderness, I talked my friend into leaving his dog at home. There was just too much of an unknown as far as the creek crossings were concerned.
Wonder is rock and water and the life that lives in-between.