Question about "base camping" in Sequioa NP.

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
marvinartist
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Question about "base camping" in Sequioa NP.

Post by marvinartist »

I have a permit for the Alta/Wolverton trailhead for 7-31 through 8-5. I am a pretty fit hiker and I'm in good shape. I regularly do 15 to 20 mile day hikes with lots of elevation gain, but I do them at basically sea level.

My concern is that I have really bulky gear and a small pack, so I'm not really equipped for a lengthy backpacking trip. What I'd like to do is set up a base camp over the course of a day or two that I can day hike from.

What would be your suggestions as far as the best place to set up the base camp from that trailhead? The ideal spot would be somewhere with a nearby water source, great views, and access to several different trails that I could do as out-and-backs over two or three days.

Alta meadow maybe? paradise valley? mehrton meadow? What would you recommend?

This board has been a great help to me so far, thanks!
quentinc
Topix Expert

Re: Question about "base camping" in Sequioa NP.

Post by quentinc »

Get a bigger pack. :)
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic

Post by cgundersen »

Sure, bigger pack; but in the meantime, Moose Lake would probably be a great "base". Views from Moose are much better than the other spots (though, the recent SEKI posting said that Moose was still frozen, which seems a bit hard to believe). From there, you can do good day hikes to Big Bird and Lonely Lakes, or even as far as Tamarack/Hamilton if you're feeling energetic. Without a pack, you'll be able to cover a lot of ground.
cg
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Hi Marvinartist

Please read viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4205" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
this will give us more info on you experience level so we can recommend a trip
accordingly. Thanks
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
marvinartist
Topix Novice

Post by marvinartist »

Okay, i'm a level 3, comfortable with most terrain except glaciers, technical climbing, and class 3 scrambling on snow. Main interests are big mountains and forests.

My trip is 6 days. I prefer loops but realize there aren't a lot of loops starting at that trailhead without cross country travel.
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Founding Member & Forums Administrator

Post by copeg »

I'd second the Moose Lake proposal. It would be a good exploratory location where you could hike the Tablelands, down to Big Bird (or even Deadman depending upon conditions and ambition). If your permit allows you to go in via Pear Lake this would be a good entry point and/or stopover before heading up to Moose.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Pear Lake>Moose Lake>Lonely Lake>Over Elizabeth Pass to Tamarack Lake>Mehrten
Meadow>Wolverton
This is a loop, but Elizabeth Pass would require ice axe, and crampons unless you do
it later in the day when the snow has softened, and hiking poles would be a must.
If the steeper snow on Elizabeth sounds uncomfortable, than stick with Moose Lake
which is a great place to do day hikes from, and if your are not that comfy with cross
country travel, which I kinda of hear from your last statement "I prefer loops but realize
there aren't a lot of loops starting at that trailhead without cross country travel.", than
basecamp at Pear Lake, do day hikes to Moose Lake, Tablelands, and to the overlook
above Big Bird Lake.

Quentic wrote:
Get a bigger pack. :)
Wiseguy :lol:

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
marvinartist
Topix Novice

Watchtower snow conditions?

Post by marvinartist »

Has anyone done the watchtower trail yet this year? Wonder how icy it is right now. The nps.gov website says its open but nothing about the ice and snow on it.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Posted earlier in the week on the 7/19 SEKI NPS Update post.
Scroll down to the Pear Lake section: http://www.nps.gov/seki/planyourvisit/trailcond.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

marvinartist
Topix Novice

Post by marvinartist »

Maverick, I saw that update but it doesn't mention snow. I assume that isn't because there isn't any.