Hiking From Taboose to Independence?

All discussion related to transportation to, from and within the Sierra Nevada. Need directions or flight information? Info on road conditions? A ride to the trail head? Can you offer a ride, or do you run a transportation business or shuttle service for the Sierra Nevada? Come on in and post the details!
bikebones
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Hiking From Taboose to Independence?

Post by bikebones »

Has anyone done this? Hiked from Taboose Pass trailhead to Independence? I haven't figured out the mileage yet, but after just getting a $185 quote from the Mt Whitney shuttle for 1 person (me), I need to consider some alternatives! It looks like a long, hot, slog, but perhaps I could hitch once I got to 395...

I plan to reach the trailhead Sunday 8/14 after a one-week hike and catch the ESTA bus on Monday to travel to Mohave...

Any ideas or advice are welcome!

Jim
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Hiking From Taboose to Independence?

Post by maverick »

Hi Bikebones

Welcome to HST!
It is a long, hot 8 miles to 395! You might luck out, and get a ride from someone leaving
Taboose Campground, but wouldn't count on it.
395 is pretty good for getting a ride, have gotten Whitney to 120 junction several times.
Funny, 395/120 junction to Tuolumne has all ways taken longer. :confused:
Good luck.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I came out Taboose TH, and waited there for an hour, gave up, and started walking towards Taboose Campground. I filled a 2.5 liter platypus at the creek before departing and walked until dark and slept in the sagebrush in my bivy about half a mile short of the campground. I walked into the campground early AM and two fishermen gave me a ride to Bishop because they were going into town for breakfast. You could check at the FS office and see if any permitted group were scheduled to return when you needed the ride and simply wait at the TH . There is good water in the creek. If you were to wait a day, you may get a ride. I am not patient, so I walked out after waiting an hour. The walk was pretty miserable. Another method is to talk to everyone you meet on the trail and beg for a ride. If you were to run into another person going back, certainly ask for a ride.
bikebones
Topix Novice

Post by bikebones »

Thanks for the mileage and info Daisy. I figured it was a pretty long, hot, slog. I need to catch an ESTA bus on Monday, so I may come out early and do as much of the hike from the TH to 395 in the evening cool or even after dark. Bivy like you said, and finish up in the early morning if I haven't made it. Navigating the road after dark shouldn't be that hard! :)

Thanks again,
Jim
bikebones
Topix Novice

Post by bikebones »

Oops! And thanks to Maverick as well. You provided the mileage.

This site is the greatest. I haven't hiked the Sierras since around 1986, and this brings it all back. I love the Cascades and Olympics here in Washington, but still, nothing compares to the Sierra.

Jim
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by fishmonger »

August walking down to 395? bring water - LOTS of water.

In situations like this, I pay Bob and sit in the AC of his ford Van, stop in Independence for a big bottle of Gatorade, and enjoy my vacation.

I've walked up from Lone Pine to the Portal in August once. Afternoon, full pack. Nobody stopped. Lesson learned. September 2 years ago I came down Sawmill Pass - called Bob for a shuttle first chance I got reception, and was in his van a mile below the trailhead a few hours later. Yes, he's not cheap, but he makes stuff possible I would not be able to logistically pull off when in the Sierra alone.
bikebones
Topix Novice

Post by bikebones »

Yes, Fishmonger, I see your point. I was beginning to think that as well. Waaay too long a hike in the heat, especially after a week up high. I was able to make alternative arrangements and I too will be riding in air-conditioned luxury; of my wife's car. :D